Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blue Plastic Tubs
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
bluecheese
Hi guys i was just thinking of putting my goldfish in a Blue Plastic Tub outdoor in full sunlight, I just want to know if it is safe to do because I've done some research and some people say that plastic tubs are not good in maintaining constant temperature and I'm just afraid that the sunlight will cause the plastic to somehow react with the water causing poisoning. However, if it is safe how should i set it up and what kind of filtration should i use.

measuring_tub_2.jpg
UnSun
yes, all plastic will discharge PCBs and other harmful chemicals and will readily penetrate skin. If you have to use it go for those that are meant for outdoor fish pond and UV resistant. Also I would protect all four sides from direct sunlight inoder to better control the water temp. The water temp should be quite contant if your tub is large enough, say at least 200L -300L. Small tub under full sun whole day will cook your fish for sure.
bluecheese
Thanks for the reply, what kind/brand of tubs do you recommend ? and will partial sunlight be enough for goldfish to fulfill the requirements for sunlight? Also, what kind of filtration system should I use?
UnSun
How many goldfish are you planning to keep? I usually apply the rule of thumb for one adult goldfish (more than 4 inch) to give at least 30L of water.
Of course, the more water the better.
To improve coloration, grow algae or cultivate green water, you don't need a lot of direct sun light. I cover the top of my pond all the time with 50% shade density, still I got more algae/green water that I want and have to add a UV. S'pore weather must give shading I guess.
The filter system will depend on what you want to achieve and how much time you have daily (not weekly) and also how deep your pocket is. hysterical.gif For TVRs, people don't usually use filters except just an air stone or two for aeration.

These type of prefab ponds are suitable. They were available in S'pore many years ago when I lived there, not sure now. http://www.clearpond.com.au/go/our-product...mp;mode=subCats

hi.gif
kinggold
Hi there.
I live in Canada and have not been able to find any blue ponds.
Does anyone know of any company that would be able to ship here?
UnSun
QUOTE(kinggold @ Sun, 02 Jan 2011 11:26 pm) *

Hi there.
I live in Canada and have not been able to find any blue ponds.
Does anyone know of any company that would be able to ship here?

hi.gif
Getting sent all the way from S'pore may be too costly. Why don't you try Rubber Maid products in the States or go here. http://www.bayheadproducts.com/docs/Bayhea...uctsCatalog.pdf
That model BC4721 may be suitable for you. I know I would like this one.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.