Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't Seem To Get Rid Of Ammonia
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
fantails
Hi. I have a 40 g breeder tank. I have 2 Ranchus, 1 Lionhead and 1 fantail. All my fish are under 2.5 inches
I have 3 Aqua Clear filters running total 550 gph, I have 2 sponge filters, I have about 25 river rocks and no gravel. I am bare bottom.

My question is why does my ammonia keep coming back. I do not over feed. I feed my fish individually so my bottom of my tank is clean.

Thanks Michael
CP
Cant rid ammonia means tank is uncycled. How old is the tank ? And, do you wash your sponge filters often?
You need a condusive environment for bb to populate.
fantails
QUOTE(CP @ Fri, 31 Dec 2010 8:10 am) *

Cant rid ammonia means tank is uncycled. How old is the tank ? And, do you wash your sponge filters often?
You need a condusive environment for bb to populate.

I don't wash my sponge filters. My tank has been running 1 1/2 years. What is a condusive enviroment mean. I changed the Aqua Clear 50 to the Aqua Clear 70 so I used the old media from the 50 and put it into the 70 because it hold more media. Thanks
CP
What is aqua clear 50 and 70 ?
fantails
This is an AC

http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/product.c...=01006100020101

I am using 9 bags of bio media ceramic rings.
CP
Sorry cant really see where the problem lies. Is the ammonia reading high or does it increase daily ?

Do you monitor for nitrates ? If nitrates are increasing daily then your tank is cycled and should be OK.
fantails
My Nitrates are at 10 ppm now. I tested today and things look ok for now. Sometimes my Nitrates will go away on there own. I will let you know if I have any more problems. Happy New Year Thanks Michael
CP
I suspect your tank is not cycled. 10ppm nitrates is very low and this amount can be from your water supply.

Nitrates does not go away unless you have plants or de-nitrator. Suggest you monitor if nitrates increases steadily as day goes by; let it rise up to say, 100ppm. If you can reach that amount it shows your tank is cycled; otherwise an uncycled tank is the reason for your increments of ammonia.

Rgds
CP
UnSun
Looks like your system is not cycled. Most people with a cycled tank have problems bringing their nitrate down. That's why we do large w/c and add lots of plants. Those Aqua Clear are not very suitable for goldfish, they have very little bio volume, maybe just good for water circulation. Try to increase your number of sponges, they are the best for bb colonization. Also cut back on your feedings and do more w/cs and add some API Stress Zyme+ to speed up your cycling. Don't wash your filters (wash with aquarium water only) for the time being.
Your N01 could be coming from your tap water too. Have you ever check your Nitrite (N02)? Too little Nitrate (10ppm) means there are not enough bb to convert your toxic wastes from Ammonia to Nitrite then to Nitrate. Also nitrate can come from your tap water too, like CP said biggrin.gif
fantails
My tap water is all good no ammonia, no nitrites and no nitrates. I push 700 gph through my filters. mostly all the forums like the Aqua clears and are reommended besides a canister filter because they hold lots of media.

How do I get the tank to cycle properly? I have had the tank running for 1.5 years so far.

When should I do a WC? Should I wait till the nitrates get higher. I read that you do WC according to the Nitrates.
CP
Do you use some forms of "ammonia removers" such as zeolites in your substrate ? If you do, they will remove the ammonia leaving the bacteria without food hence they will not multiply. Your tank will not be cycled.

It is very odd not a have a tank cycled after more than a year. Perhaps you can try to get some bacteria cultures available in the market to kickstart the cycling process.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.