Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pls Advise: Can A Female Goldfish Chase After Male Goldfish?
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
Chuchu Babe
hi.gif

Is there a possibility that a female goldfish chase after a male goldfish? Is it weird behaviour for a female goldfish react in this way?

See video:
UnSun
Video not working.
black&white
[quote name='Chuchu Babe' date='Sat, 12 Mar 2011 11:25 am' post='63356']
hi.gif

Is there a possibility that a female goldfish chase after a male goldfish? Is it weird behaviour for a female goldfish react in this way?

Can't see video but the answer is yes. Some females will persue reluctant or unready males in order to spawn.

Some females will also nudge other females. Males nudge and try to drive other males.

A bit like frogs! when in the mood they leap on anything hysterical.gif

Regards

Keith
Chuchu Babe
Here is the link to view the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plHZzjdAECA

Thanks for your info biggrin.gif
black&white
QUOTE(Chuchu Babe @ Mon, 14 Mar 2011 2:27 pm) *

I think they're both males, look at the leading rays of the pecs!

Seperate them and treat the damage.

Regards

Keith
Chuchu Babe
QUOTE(black&white @ Tue, 15 Mar 2011 8:55 am) *

I think they're both males, look at the leading rays of the pecs!

Seperate them and treat the damage.

Regards

Keith

I'm sure that my black ranchu is a female, coz she has lay eggs before (but didn't hatched into goldfish fry) sad.gif
You may watch the video that I recorded when she lay eggs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZo5S8Uhp74
black&white
QUOTE(Chuchu Babe @ Tue, 15 Mar 2011 1:39 pm) *

I'm sure that my black ranchu is a female, coz she has lay eggs before (but didn't hatched into goldfish fry) sad.gif
You may watch the video that I recorded when she lay eggs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZo5S8Uhp74

Yep female, I can't dispute that.

Thought I could see thickened rays which can also be found on females in tiptop condition. But hey, my eyes aren't what they used to be! (sorry wife, I think!!) biggrin.gif
judge
QUOTE(Chuchu Babe @ Mon, 14 Mar 2011 8:27 am) *

Please don't mind me for saying this but looks like the water quality is not good and the tank is too small for them. I see pretty bad ulcers on the fish as well. You will need to change water and treat the ulcers...

The chasing or pushing sometimes happens when the fish is a bully and competing for resources such as food or potential food. Meaning the fish are not getting enough.

UnSun
Agreed with Judge, that black ranchu is seriously injured through this chasing activities. I've just witnessed a ranchu from the other Singapore forum lost it's battle with an ulcer beginning just like yours.(injured thru' bleeding, very harmless injury at first, then into full blown nasty ulcer)
Please corrective action immediately.
Chuchu Babe
QUOTE(UnSun @ Thu, 17 Mar 2011 11:09 pm) *

Agreed with Judge, that black ranchu is seriously injured through this chasing activities. I've just witnessed a ranchu from the other Singapore forum lost it's battle with an ulcer beginning just like yours.(injured thru' bleeding, very harmless injury at first, then into full blown nasty ulcer)
Please corrective action immediately.

Any idea how to take care the injured goldfish?
UnSun
First must have pristine water to avoid infection, then salt 0.3% ie, 3 ts per 4 L of tank water administer over 24 hrs. Say you start today at 6.00pm 1ts per 4 L (0.1%), then 12hrs later at 6.00am next day add another 0.1% and last dose at 6.00pm same day. That's total 0.3%. If you change water, must add back full amount of salt 0.3%. You can also apply some acriflavin on the wound daily for the first few days. If using that popular Melafix, (then no salt) do make a daily large w/c instead of dosing daily without w/c as per instruction.

Cheers
Chuchu Babe
QUOTE(UnSun @ Sat, 19 Mar 2011 3:54 pm) *

First must have pristine water to avoid infection, then salt 0.3% ie, 3 ts per 4 L of tank water administer over 24 hrs. Say you start today at 6.00pm 1ts per 4 L (0.1%), then 12hrs later at 6.00am next day add another 0.1% and last dose at 6.00pm same day. That's total 0.3%. If you change water, must add back full amount of salt 0.3%. You can also apply some acriflavin on the wound daily for the first few days. If using that popular Melafix, (then no salt) do make a daily large w/c instead of dosing daily without w/c as per instruction.

Cheers

Thanks for prompt advise. I did add in salt after I changed the water. By the way, how does it look like when the fish is recovering? Will the wound colour become pinkish colour? My black ranchu's wounds seems to become pinkish or almost white in colour. Does it means she is recovering?

Before:
Chuchu Babe
QUOTE(UnSun @ Sat, 19 Mar 2011 3:54 pm) *

Cheers

Thanks for your prompt advise.
I did added some salt after I changed the water. By the way, how does the wounds look like when the fish is recovering? Is it ok that the wounds colour turned from red to pinkish or white colour? My black ranchu's wounds now seems to become pinkish or almost white in colour (see pic 2). Does it means she is recovering?

BEFORE (pic 1)
Click to view attachment

AFTER (pic 2):
Click to view attachment
UnSun
QUOTE(Chuchu Babe @ Sat, 19 Mar 2011 3:45 pm) *

Thanks for your prompt advise.
I did added some salt after I changed the water. By the way, how does the wounds look like when the fish is recovering? Is it ok that the wounds colour turned from red to pinkish or white colour? My black ranchu's wounds now seems to become pinkish or almost white in colour (see pic 2). Does it means she is recovering?

BEFORE (pic 1)
Click to view attachment

AFTER (pic 2):
Click to view attachment

Yes, that is a recovering wound, it should be pinkish white (not moldy white, it means fungus). keep up with pristine water and salt until tissue has grown back fully. You are very lucky, that wound has not been infected otherwise big problem because it is so close to the gill. Keep us posted.
Cheers
Chuchu Babe
QUOTE(UnSun @ Sun, 20 Mar 2011 4:41 pm) *

Yes, that is a recovering wound, it should be pinkish white (not moldy white, it means fungus). keep up with pristine water and salt until tissue has grown back fully. You are very lucky, that wound has not been infected otherwise big problem because it is so close to the gill. Keep us posted.
Cheers

Unfortunately, she just passed on this morning sad.gif
She can't eat since yesterday and no poopings. I think is due to digestion problem.
UnSun
So sorry for your lost. I'm surprised that your fish didn't make it. Is she active a day or two before that? I can only think of two causes, First the water, did you add enough water conditioner during water change? Secondly it could be the Aeromonas bacteria has invaded some vital organs. If this fish has been active during the last 24hrs, it's probably the water. With ulcers, it's always high risk and shit happens. You've done your best.
Chuchu Babe
QUOTE(UnSun @ Mon, 21 Mar 2011 12:33 pm) *

So sorry for your lost. I'm surprised that your fish didn't make it. Is she active a day or two before that? I can only think of two causes, First the water, did you add enough water conditioner during water change? Secondly it could be the Aeromonas bacteria has invaded some vital organs. If this fish has been active during the last 24hrs, it's probably the water. With ulcers, it's always high risk and shit happens. You've done your best.

No, she is not active a day or two before she passed on. When I remove her from the tank after she died, I touch her body, the injury side is harder than the other side. Not too sure is the blood clot inside and caused the infiection. Anyway, I hope she become a happy 'angel' fish in heaven now. God bless her in heaven smile.gif
UnSun
QUOTE(Chuchu Babe @ Tue, 22 Mar 2011 8:32 pm) *

No, she is not active a day or two before she passed on. When I remove her from the tank after she died, I touch her body, the injury side is harder than the other side. Not too sure is the blood clot inside and caused the infiection. Anyway, I hope she become a happy 'angel' fish in heaven now. God bless her in heaven smile.gif

The most probable cause I think is the second reason. Need antibiotics to treat ulcers, conventional off the self medicine alone is not effective.
Chuchu Babe
QUOTE(UnSun @ Wed, 23 Mar 2011 12:08 pm) *

The most probable cause I think is the second reason. Need antibiotics to treat ulcers, conventional off the self medicine alone is not effective.

Thanks for your good advice.
UnSun
QUOTE(Chuchu Babe @ Wed, 23 Mar 2011 8:04 pm) *

Thanks for your good advice.

You are welcome. If you really desperate perhaps you can seek Dr. Goldrush help.

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.ph...;hl=antibiotics
Chuchu Babe
You are welcome. If you really desperate perhaps you can seek Dr. Goldrush help.

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.ph...;hl=antibiotics
[/quote]

Despite the loss of the black ranchu, I still have some other goldfishes. Currently, my favourite goldfishes are the sakura ranchu and the red and white ranchu. Your comments will be appreciated.

[b]The sakura ranchu:
Click to view attachment

[b] The red and white ranchu:
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.