Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caster's Thailand Goldfish Field Photo 1 Of 4
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
caster
My recent trip to Thailand for Goldfish hunting was a unforgetable experience. I will try to describe what I know, to my best knowledge, please correct me if I am wrong.

The field photos will be in the sequence from the first farm I visit to the last.

The first Pic is Mr BOY(standing), who is major supplier of many quality thai goldfish to Singapore. the person sitting down is none other than our dear RG Giorin....

I am not able add comment under each photo... so if anyone have any questions please feel free to ask, I will try my best to answer, and I am sure Pat will be able to answer those questions that I do not have the answer.

The were questions about the Thai way of keeping ranchu, looking at photo no.4, U can see a water holding tanks(some have built in filtration system) and the tanks are connected to the tubs which have a overflow pipe in the middle. Each tub will have an individual valve, when water are added to the tub, all the floating shit will be drain off thru the overflow pipe. And these can be done several times a day.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
caster
Yes those are mosquito larvae that are said to be excellent source of protein for head growth.....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Absolute Ranchu
QUOTE(caster @ Mon 19 Apr 2004 05:51 PM)
Yes those are mosquito larvae that are said to be excellent source of protein for head growth.....

They work!! shiok.gif I will vouch for this. But you have to clean them thoroughly. In BKK you can find it easily, since the chicken farmers often farm mosquito lavae underneath the chicken pen. Yes, that's right, they farm mosquitos. This is because all of the goldfish farms relies on mosquito lavaes as the main staple live feed. It is much easier to keep for a long time in the pond without soiling the water, much longer than the red worm (don't know the name in english, may be some one can help with the name). The effect on the growth of the head is unbelievable when used over time. But.............and it is a big butt...............

When I first started to use the lavae, I killed half of my fish in my big pond. I thought I was immune since I had an excellent setup. blush.gif The lost was over 300,000 baht. 5 Champions dead. I couldn't eat for days. cry.gif

The moral of the story is something may work really well, but unless you know the right way to use it, it can be the worst thing for you. Stick with what works for you already. It is not necessary. The risk is often way too high.

Sawasdee krap peace.gif
Seacucumber
caster....
you lucky son of a bitch.... biggrin.gif
nanik
QUOTE(Absolute Ranchu @ Mon 19 Apr 2004 09:07 PM)
They work!!  shiok.gif      I will vouch for this.  But you have to clean them thoroughly. In BKK you can find it easily, since the chicken farmers often farm mosquito lavae underneath the chicken pen.  Yes, that's right, they farm mosquitos.  This is because all of the goldfish farms relies on mosquito lavaes as the main staple live feed.  It is much easier to keep for a long time in the pond without soiling the water, much longer than the red worm (don't know the name in english, may be some one can help with the name). The effect on the growth of the head is unbelievable when used over time.  But.............and it is a big butt...............

When I first started to use the lavae, I killed half of my fish in my big pond. I thought I was immune since I had an excellent setup.  blush.gif      The lost was over 300,000 baht.  5 Champions dead.  I couldn't eat for days.  cry.gif   

The moral of the story is something may work really well, but unless you know the right way to use it, it can be the worst thing for you. Stick with what works for you already.  It is not necessary. The risk is often way too high.

Sawasdee krap  peace.gif

Hi Pat,

Can you explain how do we clean mosquito larvae ? I'm thinking of feeding them the larvae starting tommorrow.

Thanks
Nanik
Absolute Ranchu
QUOTE(nanik @ Mon 19 Apr 2004 10:31 PM)
Hi Pat,

Can you explain how do we clean mosquito larvae ? I'm thinking of feeding them the larvae starting tommorrow.

Thanks
Nanik

I wash them in many water, then I washed them with Ozone. I have an ozone machine that can be dispensed right into the water. There are also pink cleaning crystal here in the market, but I have to get the name from some one first.
nanik
QUOTE(Absolute Ranchu @ Mon 19 Apr 2004 09:43 PM)
I wash them in many water, then I washed them with Ozone.  I have an ozone machine that can be dispensed right into the water.  There are also pink cleaning crystal here in the market, but I have to get the name from some one first.

Hi,

Wow!!! you got an ozone machine, that's cool. The pink crystal that you are referring is that Potassium Permanganate (sorry if I spell it wrong) wink.gif

If you are using potassium how much should we use it then ?

Thanks
Nanik
goldberg
Hi Caster,

Great pics!! good_very.gif

I'm really curious and interested to know about their water filtration techniques, I mean, from the pics, they had a center pipe to drain out water by overflow, where does this water goes to? And in the back, the huge water storage tank supplies water to the ponds , right? Is is supplying continuously? So am I guessing correct that this way, their pond water is continuously cycled?

Thks!
Absolute Ranchu
QUOTE(goldberg @ Mon 19 Apr 2004 11:10 PM)
Hi Caster,

Great pics!! good_very.gif

I'm really curious and interested to know about their water filtration techniques, I mean, from the pics, they had a center pipe to drain out water by overflow, where does this water goes to? And in the back, the huge water storage tank supplies water to the ponds , right? Is is supplying continuously? So am I guessing correct that this way, their pond water is continuously cycled?

Thks!

The overflow tube limit the depth of the water. The overflow water will flow down the drain. The water is never recycled. This is an open system, clear water, fresh water is added to the pond so the pond over flow out. We call it clearing the top water. The water is usually run through a carbon purification system right out of the main pipe, then the water is stored in the tank and then piped directly to the holding ponds. (Some breeders will just let the water sit in the tank overnight before use and forego the purification system.) The two running pipes you see, one is water, and the other one is air.
The ponds are hooked up directly to the tank via the pipes and gravity is ample to provide enough pressure. peace.gif
caster
huh ? why ? those are not my fish. This trip I go for Top View only...hhehehe.. those side view nice rite. The actual fish looks 10times nicer and they are abt 6"

The 1st red white will be on SG shore soon

The 2nd fish is not for sale YET !!

The Third fish .. I am still considering..hhehehhe
nanik
QUOTE(Absolute Ranchu @ Mon 19 Apr 2004 11:25 PM)
The overflow tube limit the depth of the water.  The overflow water will flow down the drain.  The water is never recycled.  This is an open system, clear water, fresh water is added to the pond so the pond over flow out.  We call it clearing the top water.  The water is usually run through a carbon purification system right out of the main pipe, then the water is stored in the tank and then piped directly to the holding ponds. (Some breeders will just let the water sit in the tank overnight before use and forego the purification system.) The two running pipes you see, one is water, and the other one is air.
The ponds are hooked up directly to the tank via the pipes and gravity is ample to provide enough pressure.  peace.gif

Pat,

If you don't mind can you post some picture of your water purification system, I'm considering of installing one myself, but still thinking about 'cause the price is really out of my league.

Another thing, the water that most people used in Thailand are they tap water (with chlorine) or well water (natural rain water in ground) ?

Thanks
Nanik
Absolute Ranchu
QUOTE(nanik @ Tue 20 Apr 2004 09:41 AM)
Pat,

If you don't mind can you post some picture of your water purification system, I'm considering of installing one myself, but still thinking about 'cause the price is really out of my league.

Another thing, the water that most people used in Thailand are they tap water (with chlorine) or well water (natural rain water in ground) ?

Thanks
Nanik

My water purification is the same kind used for houses. There are many locally brands in the market. The one I use at home is very big, 6 feet tall. It contains over 30 kilos of cleaning carbon and is changed on a regular schedule. The actual system is not a high tech one. The prices also vary greatly in the Thai market. Everything in SG is probably different when it comes to purifying the water. Some of my friends use Amway water cleaning system for his system.

In Jatujak market, you can find people selling filtration system that is made from very large and tall plastic trash can, the one with lids. They put a couple of opening in there with a pump and voila an instant very large capacity purification system for most fiberglass pond.You just have to put it on a table that's the same hight as your pond. You can put a lot of bio balls and as many of filtration matt on top as much as you want. The cost is about 1,000 baht(40S$).

My point is your imagination and creativity can solved the problem for you inexpensively. You can get rather creative here, depending on your amount of water usage. At the farm we have about 18 tons water capacity so the system has to also be big.

Most Thai breeders use water from the tap wit chorine. Some very large farms upcountry will use well water.
Amos
QUOTE(Absolute Ranchu @ Tue 20 Apr 2004 05:12 PM)
My water purification is the same kind used for houses.  There are many locally brands in the market. The one I use at home is very big, 6 feet tall.  It contains over 30 kilos of cleaning carbon and is changed on a regular schedule.  The actual system is not a high tech one.  The prices also vary greatly in the Thai market. Everything in SG is probably different when it comes to purifying the water. Some of my friends use Amway water cleaning system for his system.

Hello, may I know what is cleaning carbon? Is it those activated charcoal we buy at fish shop? They are not cheap, about $2 for 100 grams. You are using 30 kilograms and if it is activated charcoal the cost is scary. So can I know what it is? Are they maybe B-B-Q charcoal?

Thank you.
mountain
Water Contaminants Not Removed by AC Filtration

Similar to other types of water treatment, AC filtration is effective for some contaminants and not effective for others. AC filtration does not remove microbes, sodium, nitrates, fluoride, and hardness. Lead and other heavy metals are removed only by a very specific type of AC filter. Unless the manufacturer states that its product will remove heavy metals, the consumer should assume that the AC filter is not effective in removing them. Refer to the other circulars in the Treatment Systems for Household Water Supplies series for information on systems that do remove the contaminants listed above.

extracted from

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/h2oqual/w...e1029w.htm#what

this weblink talks abt AC filtration with relate to our drinking water. You can use it as a simple reference to AC filtration with water for goldfish rearing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.