Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Low Light Ambience
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
HappyBuddha
My display tank is usually lit with two 2 ft PL lamp totalling 110 watts. It's bright.

But becoz I need the PL lamps for my fries tank to cultivate green water, I dug out from the storeroom an old 2 ft 15 watts FL lamp (day light) and use it to light up the tank.

You know what? The tank looks so different! It looks cooler and calmer. The fish's body sparkle when they swim directly under the lamp and fades away as they swim off. Also, becoz of the low lighting, the fish actually looks more 3 dimensional due to casting of shadows on the body. And finally, floating debris seemingly disappeared from the tank too. biggrin.gif

I love it.
chanB
Like to see it, Can you post a photo? Thanks.
HappyBuddha
I tried taking pics but they all turn out under-exposed and cannot convey what I want to show. sad.gif
desireless
Maybe not so related...
But I use PL light for my fishes in my green water. I realised that for one of the fishes, the red patch on its back (exposed directly at the PL light) is more vibrant than those on it's side stomach. I was thinking that direct exposure to light (esp "daylight") may enhance a fish's red colour. That's the explanation I self-deduce for having 2 different shades of red on my fish's body.
Amos
QUOTE(desireless @ Tue 20 Apr 2004 06:33 PM)
Maybe not so related...
But I use PL light for my fishes in my green water. I realised that for one of the fishes, the red patch on its back (exposed directly at the PL light) is more vibrant than those on it's side stomach. I was thinking that direct exposure to light (esp "daylight") may enhance a fish's red colour. That's the explanation I self-deduce for having 2 different shades of red on my fish's body.

There may be some truth to your observation.

I was told by a Thai friend of a friend who keeps black ranchus that his kakis would prep their black ranchus for competition or exhibition by placing a mirror on the pond's floor to "tan" the ranchu's bellies.

Cheers
Amos

PS. This forum is great. I just joined this morning and I can't peel myself away from my PC as the forum is really loaded with info.
desireless
Yes, I have heard about that too that for black ranchus, breeder use mirror to shine at the belly. But I wasn't so sure it will bring out the red until I see it happening to my own fish. I will post some picture if I can get the fish to pose laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.