Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Goldfish Gradings
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
Amos
Can anyone explain how does the grading A, AA, AAA etc come about? A fish with an AAA grading definitely costs a lot more than one with an A. But what are the differences? How do I know the LFS owner is being honest in his pricing based on rating I don't understand? Thanx.
leogon
There's a page on how they are graded in:-

http://www.thairanchucentre.com/grading.php

Cheers
Amos
Thank you leogon for pointing out the web page. Although they didn't have a Grade A classification, I take it that's a grade with severe defect, perhaps a ranchu that resembles a lionhead goldfish where the back is flat.

Okay, now I can decide for myself if a grading set by the LFS owner for a fish on sale is correct or if he's merely misleading me with false grading. Thanx!!
Amos
I hope it is okay to carry on in this thread a related topic.

I managed to get around 200 fries the last time I bred my ranchus. Eventually I cull them and narrow down to just 2 semi decent ranchus. Those culls are mainly "grade A" although some could pass off as "grade AA". Eventually I have 2 I would consider "Grade AAA" but not a single "Show Grade" to be found.

I would like to know for top professional breeders what is the percentage of "Show Grade" they can get out of each spawn. Anybody knows? Thanx.
CyberET
its very subjective, breeding issn't an exact science, depends on the weather conditions, water conditions, temperature, any many other factors, so it issn't easy to fix a percentage of "Show Grade" they can get out of each spawn smile.gif but i guess its less than 5%, maybe lower, but it also depends whats the standard of their "Show Grade", as it varies from ppl to region, to reason for breeding wink.gif
dennis
Actually I am very pleased after reading this thread, so the fish guide(Doremon) in our FAQ section is the same criteria to grade a Showgrade ranchu too. I am glad I uses that criteria for selecting my fishes, so maybe it time for competition ....... hehehe. shiok.gif Just joking! tongue.gif
nanik
QUOTE(Amos @ Tue 04 May 2004 01:45 PM)
I hope it is okay to carry on in this thread a related topic.

I managed to get around 200 fries the last time I bred my ranchus.  Eventually I cull them and narrow down to just 2 semi decent ranchus.  Those culls are mainly "grade A" although some could pass off as "grade AA". Eventually I have 2 I would consider "Grade AAA" but not a single "Show Grade" to be found.

I would like to know for top professional breeders what is the percentage of "Show Grade" they can get out of each spawn.  Anybody knows?  Thanx.

Hi,

Percentage wise it's very difficult to determine how many "show class" fries, we can get from each spawning. It is very much possible that you will not get any show class grade on every spawning, but it's also possible that you will get 20-30 fries that are show grades, it all depends upon what kind of bloodlines or parents you are using. It's no secret that if you have good parent fish the possibilities of you getting good quality fries are higher. That is why if you can lay your hand on some good parent fish, it will cost you bomb because farms seldoms or almost never wants to sell their parent stocks.

Some factors like the bro has mentioned such as water, food, etc does play a role in the development of the fries, but it's not as major as the bloodline or parents gene itself.

If you notice big farms they don't use only 2 or 3 pairs of parents, they use 20 to 30 parents at one time to increase the possibility of getting show grade fries and better quality fish. Sometimes farms will not sell their best of the best, because they will use it as the next parents or they will do cross breeding with different lineage or with their "ancestor".

Sorry to be off topic a bit (but it's still relevant), if you notice how the louhans was produced, you will see that they do a lot of "cross breeding" of the cichlid family. The same thing apply to ranchu and goldfish in general, because you get good fish from doing cross breeding, but again it comes down to each individual farms and each farms has got different techniques to product high quality fries, that's why it's almost impossible to find the same kind of characteristics of fish from different farms.

If we take dogs for example, in order to get a good and powerful german shepherd, the parents for sure comes from the champion family or some well known breeder.

Cheers
Nanik
DIYGOLD
jz like to share my thought. if i'm wrong please do not afraid to comment. It is thru comment we learn. thanks!

the breeder will perform culling process from the bad ones. then from the good ones, the breeder will cull into differ grades(high,medium and low). it is difficult to answer what grades should price at what range because it depends who is the breeder, the quality and age of the fish. the shop owner is honest or not depend on your judgement(goldfish eye....tail,head,body,scales,etc) and whether you think the fish is worth that much.

please add comment. thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.