Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Char Kuay Teow
RafflesGold Forums > Misc Rumble Area > Chit Chat & Gossip
kingyoo
I always smile when I read this in the header of the suggestions forum. I am guessing it is something very good to eat.

Is it something like what we call Char Siu, which is chinese barbecue pork?

Probably not huh. Tell me what it is because next to talking about goldfish, I like talking about food, then eating food. shiok.gif
The Matrix
QUOTE(kingyoo @ Tue 02 Dec 2003 10:24 AM)
I always smile when I read this in the header of the suggestions forum.  I am guessing it is something very good to eat.

Is it something like what we call Char Siu, which is  chinese barbecue pork?

Probably not huh. Tell me what it is because next to talking about goldfish, I like talking about food, then eating food.  shiok.gif

char - a method of cooking - Fried.
Kuay Teow - white rice flat noodle.
in hokkien dialect.

Actually Char Siu, a cantonese dialect, translated as skewered burn. Or meat that are "burn" in skewer. So BBQ as we know of.
kingyoo
Ohh that sound so yummy. I love noodles. I eat something called Chow fun. I think it is Cantonese style wide flat noodles. I don't think it is rice noodle though. I could be wrong, but it is so yum yum.

Let's talk about food!

My favorite food is nigiri sushi. I like all kind of sushi, except uni (sea urchin). I don't like the sea urchin. Do you?

Then next is a Korean dish called Bi bim bap. Which is a mixed rice with kim chee, veggies, meat, and hot sauce topped with a fried egg.
HappyBuddha
Kekeke. Bro demekin forgot to mention Char Kuay Teow is sweet! When i was in Toronto for more than a year back in the 70s, I missed it so much. I could get all kinds of chinese food in china town but Char Kuay Teow is dearly missed. In malaysia, they have their penang char kuay teow but it's not the same at all.

Here's a write up on this sinful food. Damn, I just had dinner and looking at the pic makes me hungry again. mad.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(hun citizen @ Tue 02 Dec 2003 19:22 PM)
Have not try Penang style char kway teow though.

You don't have to travel all the way up to Penang to try their char kuay teow; York Hotel brings in the supposingly best hawkers to pamper you (buffer style, $22+++) right here in Scotts Lut. When I was there 2 months ago, the que for the Char Kuay Teow stall was so long I didn't get a chance to taste it. mad.gif I bet it must be damn good!
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(kingyoo @ Tue 02 Dec 2003 10:54 AM)
Let's talk about food!

My favorite food is nigiri sushi.  I like all kind of sushi, except uni (sea urchin).  I don't like the sea urchin.  Do you?

Then next is a Korean dish called Bi bim bap.  Which is a mixed rice with kim chee, veggies, meat, and hot sauce topped with a fried egg.

I'm not a big fan of Japanese food except for Yakitori and chicken katsu curry. Katsu curry is a "low-end" dish that in Japan, it's sold by road-side food vendors. Often time I find it frustrating when dining at nice Japanese restaurant and they don't have it on their menu. Everyone else could take their pick on fancy japanese food, but I WANT MY KATSU CURRY!!!

I avoid Korean food at all cost. I don't like their kind of spiceness. Sigh. It's too strange for me.

But then again, I'm a weird person as I actually love American food. biggrin.gif Gimme me a good burger and fries anytime. The fatter, the juicer, the better. good.gif Lee Iococca wrote in his book, Talking Straight, that his lunch is usually a burger. But man, his burger is specially prepared by an in house chef using the best steak. I could just die if I can have one everyday! smile.gif
kingyoo
I avoid Korean food at all cost. I don't like their kind of spiceness. Sigh. It's too strange for me. 

Oh Man!!! If I had to pick only one ethnic food that I had to eat for the rest of my life, it would be Korean food!

I love a big juicy hamburger and fries of course. I also love to eat a thick rare beef steak once in a while.

There is a small Japanese bar down the road from my office in the "International District" (china town) that serves a killer katsu curry! Yum! It's perfectly prepared. And you can choose either pork or chicken katsu.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.