Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Clarification White Goldfish
RafflesGold Forums > Misc Rumble Area > Chit Chat & Gossip
jhansolo
I found this in my research for useless facts yesterday and found this interesting.

Is it true that goldfish kept in the dark will turn white?
HappyBuddha
Kekeke. I actually subscribe to another school of thots that goldfish assimilates to the environment and adjusts its body colour. It turn whiter (not white though) if it is kept in a bright environment and vice versa. Now, by "dark" I meant the tank, for instance, has black oyama paper instead of white walls and not that the tank is in a completely dark room with no light.

How true? To be frank I don't know but a few pple I chat with subscribe to the same habit of using black oyama paper for their glass tanks.
jhansolo
I think I got my answer

http://www.fishdoc.net/faq/faq_details.php?faqId=124

Most goldfish will fade in color even in our tank, but the coloration maintain to certain extend. Unless it's a form of weak genotype like red cap, panda, blue scale type of fish, then there is a chance that the entire fish turning white even without to be left in the dark

So it is gene not so much the environment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.