Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting Rid Of Nitrate
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
Pages: 1, 2
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(jowy_ham @ Sun 16 May 2004 01:34 PM)
And what's the reason for max airflow ? I thou BB cannot withstand too high water current ?

I'm quite sure BB can withstand the current generated by a sponge filter. Afterall, the current is relatively weak compared to that inside a typical OHF where many owners often proudly brag about flow rate of thousands of litres per hour! ohmy.gif

QUOTE(:0 @ sad.gif)
By over-stocking, maybe we are putting in 2-3 GFs per 100 litres, therefore we would need a higher amount of BB to break down all the waste generated but does this perception/assumption really works ?

You assumed correctly; just cultivate more BB to accomodate an overstocked tank. It implies as you add more fish, all you need to do is add more filters.

Unfortunately, this view is seriously flawed.

You overlooked one fact about the nitrogen cycle. Although you can convert more ammonia (produced by higher fish load) by adding more filtration, the end result is you get more nitrate. Although relatively harmless compared to ammonia, long term exposure to high nitrate concentration (in excess of 10-25 [some say 50] ppm) is said to stunt your fish.

So now with high stock level and more filtration, you need a way to get rid of nitrate. Although you can add plants which takes in nitrate as nutrients, the best way is to change water to discard the nitrate laiden water.

So your answer as to how do hdb dwellers keep overstocked goldfish tank can be sum up as "change water frequently". biggrin.gif

You can read up about the accumulative nature of nitrate in the excellent article, My Journey with Nitrates. I hope you will comprehen it fully and come to the conclusion that the way things go, sparsely stocked tank filtered by sponge filters accompanied by diligent water change is the only way to go if you don't just want to keep your goldfish alive but to groom and let it grow to its maximum potential.

And finally I want to add one thing about the need to keep lots of goldfish...

Do ask yourself why is there a need to keep so many goldfish to the extend you know you're overstocking your tank? Wouldn't keeping an amount that you can manage (50-100 litres per fish) be better? I'm quite sure it's fun and exciting to have 45 dogs and puppies in your living room. But I hope you'll have enough time to bath them, feed them, walk them etc. In any case, your 45 pets will probably not be healthy or at their best form becoz you only have that much time and money to spend on your pet.

But of course, I know you'll have better sense and max out at maybe 2 doggies if you live in a flat. Thank goodness for common sense.

So why not apply the same thot when you keep goldfish in your 4 feet tank? unsure.gif
white horse T1
QUOTE(square_guy @ Sun 16 May 2004 01:55 PM)
There is not ideal stocking level. Usual figure such as 1GF to 10gals are general guidelines. If you are confident enough, you can always stock higher.

The above points are for keeping the fish alive only. If you are concerned about other issues (eg growth, health ), that's a totally different ball game...

Another guideline we usually see on the web is that cycling will take 1 month. again this depends on many factors.

i read sq guy thread at AF on nitrate. last week i measure NO3 and shocked to see that it hit 80 ppm. this week it hit 100 ppm. after performing 20% water change, still measure at 100 ppm.
why i do a check ? bec i see all the goldfish eyes seem to get bigger and bigger when i compared with the photos i first got them.

since i am using sump tank. i bought 4 of those guanhin plant (guan Inn teck in teachew) and place them at the last compartment. hopefully this will lower down the nitrates. will be getting those floating aq plant as backup. hopefully this will remove the nitrate with 20% water weekly change

if it don fall to 40ppm; the next move may be to buy "tetra nitrate minus". (as stated, it is a one time application)

anyone buy before; how much?
mountain
yur tank prob got nitrate readings higher than 100 ppm, but your test kits can only measure up til 100 ppm. Therefore, the amount of water change you performed was not enough to bring it down significantly. 20% is very little. at 100ppm, i would have sugguest you do a 80%. follow by continual small changes the next few days to really bring it down.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(white horse T1 @ Sun 16 May 2004 03:14 PM)
i read sq guy  thread at AF on nitrate.  last week i measure NO3 and shocked to see that it hit 80 ppm. this week it hit 100 ppm.  after performing 20% water change,  still measure at 100 ppm.
why i do a check ?  bec i see all the goldfish eyes seem to get bigger and bigger when i compared with the photos i first got them.

since i am using sump tank.  i bought 4 of those guanhin plant (guan Inn teck in teachew)  and place them at the last compartment.  hopefully this will lower down the nitrates.  will be getting those floating aq plant as backup.  hopefully this will remove the nitrate with 20% water weekly change

if it don fall to 40ppm; the next move may be to buy "tetra nitrate minus".  (as stated, it is a one time application) 

This is for whtan...

100 ppm of nitrate is way off any safe guidelines for goldfish.

Since you have a fresh nitrate test kit, put it to good use and do the following:-

Replace 100% of the water, including those in your sump tank. Be careful not to kill your BB.

Test the nitrate level. It should be zero.

Repeat the test 24 hours later. It should be positive (let's assume it's 10 ppm). Do not change any water.

Repeat daily for 7 days. If it was 10 ppm a day after water change, it will read 70 ppm. Nitrate accumulates.

Since your water is 1 week old, you would change 20% (like you said earlier) right? Fine. After this 1st week's water change, your nitrate level is down to 80% of 70 ppm = 56 ppm. Afterall, you discard 20% of the nitrate when you changed water. Woo hoo!

On the 8th day (since you changed 100%), your nitrate will be 56 ppm + 10 ppm = 66 ppm (which is 4 ppm less than yesterday ah!)

On the 9th day, it'll 76 ppm.

On the 14th day, it will be 126 ppm.

By the 2nd week since you changed 100%, most test kit no longer register the nitrate level since it's above 100 ppm. I think that's a bloody obvious clue to you that anything more than 100 ppm is... erm... outrageous?

What're my points?

1. Always stock correctly.
2. Always test your nitrate level in an established tank to work out how long the water can last in that setup.
3. green water dun have nitrate. biggrin.gif
4. Ever consider keeping demekins with jumbo size eyes?
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(white horse T1 @ Sun 16 May 2004 03:14 PM)
if it don fall to 40ppm; the next move may be to buy "tetra nitrate minus".  (as stated, it is a one time application) 

... if it really works without any harmful by-products it would have been listed in RafflesGold Lobang for many bros to whack cheap cheap.

http://www.tetra-fish.co.uk/tetratropical/...itrateminus.asp
white horse T1
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Sun 16 May 2004 04:52 PM)
This is for whtan...

100 ppm of nitrate is way off any safe guidelines for goldfish.

Since you have a fresh nitrate test kit, put it to good use and do the following:-

Replace 100% of the water, including those in your sump tank.  Be careful not to kill your BB.

Test the nitrate level. It should be zero.

Repeat the test 24 hours later.  It should be positive (let's assume it's 10 ppm).  Do not change any water.

Repeat daily for 7 days.  If it was 10 ppm a day after water change, it will read 70 ppm.  Nitrate accumulates.

Since your water is 1 week old, you would change 20% (like you said earlier) right?  Fine.  After this 1st week's water change, your nitrate level is down to 80% of 70 ppm = 56 ppm.  Afterall, you discard 20% of the nitrate when you changed water.  Woo hoo!

On the 8th day (since you changed 100%), your nitrate will be 56 ppm + 10 ppm = 66 ppm (which is 4 ppm less than yesterday ah!)

On the 9th day, it'll 76 ppm.

On the 14th day, it will be 126 ppm.

By the 2nd week since you changed 100%, most test kit no longer register the nitrate level since it's above 100 ppm.  I think that's a bloody obvious clue to you that anything more than 100 ppm is... erm... outrageous?

What're my points?

1.  Always stock correctly.
2.  Always test your nitrate level in an established tank to work out how long the water can last in that setup.
3.  green water dun have nitrate.  biggrin.gif
4.  Ever consider keeping demekins with jumbo size eyes?

HB okie got it, for a moment i tot u school lecturer. but cannot anyhow use cane huh...
yr suggestion is good but hey the weekend is over alr. i spent alr ...perhaps next weekend.

all is not lost
don get angry hor...
got the ppm mix up it was 40 then
and goes up to 80 ppm. and consistently maintaining at 80 despite changing 20 %.

in order to last till nxt wk, i ve
: started planting compaign in sump today. a less taxing and easier solution to alleviate the problem.
: will do another 30% change to see any changes to bring the ppm now. no energy to do a 100%.

alr check out the tetra website b4 posting. someone has tested it in AF experiment.
while it may not be a lobang buy, anyone has used it effectively before full scale here and verify its effectiveness? that is one more brand from Seachem, PRIME claim it can detoxify nitrate also.

never consider keeping demekin. yuks-big.gif
white horse T1
QUOTE(white horse T1 @ Sun 16 May 2004 09:04 PM)
HB okie got it,  for a moment i tot u school lecturer.  but cannot anyhow use cane huh...
yr suggestion is good but hey the weekend is over alr.  i spent alr ...perhaps next weekend.

all is not lost
don get angry hor... 
got the ppm mix up it was 40 then
and goes up to 80 ppm.  and consistently maintaining at 80 despite changing 20 %.

in order to last till nxt wk, i ve
: started planting compaign in sump today.  a less taxing and easier solution to alleviate the problem.
: will do another 30% change to see any changes to bring the ppm now. no energy to do a 100%.

alr check out the tetra website b4 posting.    someone has tested it in AF experiment.
while it may not be a lobang buy, anyone has used it effectively before full scale here and verify its effectiveness?  that is one more brand from Seachem, PRIME claim it can detoxify nitrate also.

never consider keeping demekin. yuks-big.gif

day 0
after performing a 30% water change and before that soaking the guan in teck for 10 hrs in sump, test again late last night ppm drop to 10

day 1
pending
white horse T1
QUOTE(white horse T1 @ Mon 17 May 2004 11:14 AM)
day 0
after performing a 30% water change and before that soaking the guan in teck for 10 hrs in sump, test again late last night ppm drop to 10

day 2
gosh ! up to 40 ppm in one day.....
mountain
bio-load + the amount of feeding can contribute to the nitrate factor wor....
RBT
Just a show case:

got one day not toooo long ago me think i so smart(kenna smack more like it)lazy to mix + wanna give my gfs a salt bath for all of them.THROW lots of salt into tank WITH the canister running(think that flow would melt salt faster.).

guess wat........yup all my bbs mati

2nd day water cloudy thought overfeed.Did a 80% water change stop feeding.Again water cloudy---THEN something struck me alamak my bbs my babies!!!!!!!

Did a 80% water change every other day.guess wat sala again a bro told to let the fishes tahan a bit,do a 20% change.S l o w l y but surely bbs establish again.

Why so slowly(abt 4-5wks).WHY!!! let me tell u why, me again too smart 4 myself hehe.Whenever i top up water i let canister run(guess wat)I point(accidentally of cause) the hose(tap water) at the canister inlet.(ps got put anti-clorine lah)

So the moral of the story is don't point pipe at anyone.wahahahhahaah(fall off chair)
YLD
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Sun 16 May 2004 02:46 PM)
Although relatively harmless compared to ammonia, long term exposure to high nitrate concentration (in excess of 10-25 [some say 50] ppm) is said to stunt your fish.

HB, i just wish to confirm.

Ranchu with big/protruding eyes are caused by excess level of nitrate?
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(white horse T1 @ Mon 17 May 2004 09:44 PM)
day 2

I'm betting today (day 3) the nitrate level will be about 70 ppm.

Tell me I'm right. sad.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(RBT @ Tue 18 May 2004 12:05 AM)
Just a show case:

got one day not toooo long ago me think i so smart(kenna smack more like it)lazy to ...

Kekeke. I guess the moral of the story is - beside learning how to keep your goldfish, we must learn how to keep our BB too.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(YLD @ Tue 18 May 2004 01:12 AM)
HB, i just wish to confirm.

Ranchu with big/protruding eyes are caused by excess level of nitrate?

In a nutshell the answer is yes.

But I should make it clear it is not the direct cause. You see, at low concentration (below 50 ppm) nitrate is relatively harmless (compared to ammonia and nitrite). But long term exposure to high concentration will stress the fish out. The fish won't die immediately but it will not be able to develop well. A stunt fish is one where the body is short/small for its age but the eyes and finnage are large for its body size.
HappyBuddha
This new topic is splitted out from:-

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=840

Please carry on the discussion here...
leogon
For Koi keepers(who want crystal clear water), some reduce nitrate levels by using a protein skimmer and/or plant filtration(water hyacinth,pandan plants).
Not possible to change tons of water daily! Nowadays, can get protein skimmers that work for freshwater as well. These can be custom-made or bought off the shelf. Not sure whether any goldfish lover wants to try it out...
YLD
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Tue 18 May 2004 07:12 AM)
In a nutshell the answer is yes.

But I should make it clear it is not the direct cause.  You see, at low concentration (below 50 ppm) nitrate is relatively harmless (compared to ammonia and nitrite).  But long term exposure to high concentration will stress the fish out.  The fish won't die immediately but it will not be able to develop well.  A stunt fish is one where the body is short/small for its age but the eyes and finnage are large for its body size.

I think 3 of my ranchu has big and protruding eyes. Is there any cure beside apply green water?
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(YLD @ Tue 18 May 2004 11:12 AM)
I think 3 of my ranchu has big and protruding eyes. Is there any cure beside apply green water?

Unfortunately I don't think there's a cure. green water doesn't cure it at all; maybe it could promote a bigger wen to help 'cover' up the buldging eyes but that's just a trick. biggrin.gif

Sorry.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(leogon @ Tue 18 May 2004 09:54 AM)
For Koi keepers(who want crystal clear water), some reduce nitrate levels by  using a protein skimmer and/or plant filtration(water hyacinth,pandan plants)....

I didn't know we could use protein skimmer to reduce nitrate in fresh water. Are you sure? Hmm.....

There are actually many ways to reduce nitrate. Bro square and I were experimenting on various gadget and setup but I don't think either of us found the ideal solution.

trickle tower by bro square

coiled denitrator by bro cute

canister denitrator by bro sorcerer

For our goldfish tanks/tubs, nothing beats fresh clean water.
YLD
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Tue 18 May 2004 01:27 PM)
Unfortunately I don't think there's a cure.  green water doesn't cure it at all; maybe it could promote a bigger wen to help 'cover' up the buldging eyes but that's just a trick.  biggrin.gif

Sorry.

Thanx for the reply.

Lesson learnt.
Allan
day 2

Your stock load is definitely too high if your nitrate accumulates at an alarming 30 ppm per day! Do something about it. At this rate, I would have to change all the water on alternate days. If I wait for a week before changing water, the nitrate level would be 210 ppm! That's suicidal!
white horse T1
day 2

Day 3
80 ppm. ouch!

a. looks like plant in sump not absorbing much nitrate,

b. got Seachem Matrix nitrates at hand to standby alr to place at the drip compartment i can squeeze in.

c. also got 1 miserable grass ball in tank for them to play and hopefully soak some more nitrate
GF Lover
After reading this thread, I got frighten and I went to Petmart today to buy 2 different brands of Nitrate test kit. I tested all the water where I keep my goldfish. Two tubs in the balcony and one fishtank. The fish tank and one of the tub where I use coral chip in my filter do not seems to register much nitrate reading. However in one of the tub where I do not use coral chip, it shows reading of 150 ppm. This tub has only 5 small ranchu of about 2 inches. My tank in the living room is the standard 2 ft tank with 2 orandas about 6 inches and 5 around 4 inches. I have not change the water in my 2 feet tank for nearly 4 weeks now. I have an ammonia alert which always shows safe. How come no ammonia and Nitrate problem? I use both test kit just to make sure. Both confirm very good. Is my fish OK. Can anyone help me on this??
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(white horse T1 @ Tue 18 May 2004 09:44 PM)
Day 3
80 ppm.  ouch! 

a. looks like plant in sump not absorbing much nitrate, 

b.  got Seachem Matrix nitrates at hand to standby alr to place at the drip compartment i can squeeze in.

c.  also got 1 miserable grass ball in tank for them to play and hopefully soak some more nitrate

It's 10ppm higher than I predicted? Goosh!

Tomorrow it will be 110 ppm and it's only day 4 after water change. Siao leow.

1. Yeah... nobody really knows how much plants you need for a volume of water/stock level.
2. It probably will take a while (4 weeks at least) for it to start working.
3. You goldfish might tear them apart.

Your above contigency plan is flawed.

Have you figured out the right corrective action to take? unsure.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(goldfish Lover @ Wed 19 May 2004 12:22 AM)
After reading this thread, I got frighten and I went to Petmart today to buy 2 different brands ....

What's your feeding pattern like?

Good water parameters with no water change for 4 weeks? You must tell us more about your setup and share your secrets!
white horse T1
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Wed 19 May 2004 08:56 AM)
It's 10ppm higher than I predicted?  Goosh!

Tomorrow it will be 110 ppm and it's only day 4 after water change.  Siao leow.

1.  Yeah... nobody really knows how much plants you need for a volume of water/stock level.
2.  It probably will take a while (4 weeks at least) for it to start working.
3.  You goldfish might tear them apart.

Have you figured out the right corrective action to take?  unsure.gif

did another 20% change again last night after seeing the day 3 result.

yeah. contingency plan is flaw but chaim see tong first
100% change will have to wait till weekend.
meantime, will try to transfer a couple of ranchu to my green water project to reduce the ammonia load.
white horse T1
QUOTE(white horse T1 @ Wed 19 May 2004 01:59 PM)
did another 20% change again last night after seeing the day 3 result.

yeah. contingency plan is flaw but chaim see tong first
100% change will have to wait till weekend.
meantime, will try to transfer a couple of ranchu to my green water project to reduce the ammonia load.

hey i ve not given up yet. peace.gif

will cover all available surface in sump tank with water lettuce and water hycinth on top of the bamboo plants.

betw
duckweed $2 a tub (those plastic soup type) cheap or not?
GF Lover
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Wed 19 May 2004 08:59 AM)
What's your feeding pattern like?

Good water parameters with no water change for 4 weeks?  You must tell us more about your setup and share your secrets!

Hi HB. I have a 3 inches thick coral hip as my undergravel filter that is being operated by a powerhead. The water is being pump to an overhead filter and let to flow back to the tank. I feed my goldfish twice a day with Hikari. I am still very baffle at the reading.

Yesterday I put coral chip in my cannister filter for the tub with poor NO3 reading, and change 20% of the water. Last night when I return home, I did a check again and the NO3 reading was 2.5 ppm.

I have also noticed that the water in my tank turning slightly brown, which I think must be caused by using Hikari. I have still not change the water in my tank. Continue to check it for a little while more.

Has anyone tried using caral chip in their filter?
mountain
QUOTE(goldfish Lover @ Thu 20 May 2004 06:40 AM)
Hi HB. I have a 3 inches thick coral hip as my undergravel filter that is being operated by a powerhead. The water is being pump to an overhead filter and let to flow back to the tank. I feed my goldfish twice a day with Hikari. I am still very baffle at the reading.

Yesterday I put coral chip in my cannister filter for the tub with poor NO3 reading, and change 20% of the water. Last night when I return home, I did a check again and the NO3 reading was 2.5 ppm.

I have also noticed that the water in my tank turning slightly brown, which I think must be caused by using Hikari. I have still not change the water in my tank. Continue to check it for a little while more.

Has anyone tried using caral chip in their filter?

coral chips have NO effect on Nitrate/Nitrite. The only purpose of coral chips is to buffer the PH levels. Your tank would have suffer a super Low PH/PH crash anytime since 4 weeks with no water change. But u probably prevented it from happening with out 3 inch think coral chips. But most of us seldom use coral chips. instead we use baking soda. you can do a search and read up on this topic. It has been extensively discussed by the brothers here. Part of the Reason being, we change our water frequently and in large percentages.

Your brown water observance is from Hikari pellets. You can try shaking up the pellets in a seperate container with fresh tap water and then tell us if the water turn as brown as your tank water.

Would you mind if you take a photo of your 2 ft tank with 2 orandas about 6 inches and 5 around 4 inches?? I wanna take a look at your undergravel filter.. i presume there is really gravel?? by the way, ammonia alerts are good for a few month in a heavy tank and by then it should be replaced. how old is your ammonia alert? You should have also bought a ammonia test kit to double check your ammonia readings. The low nitrite/nitrate readings could be becaz there is high ammonia and no BB at all.. <-- errr .. sorrie.. brothers here can help me correct this statement if i am wrong hor..
square_guy
at 3" inch, the coral chips bed could possibly serve as a DSB to denitrify provided there is region of low DO in it.

Coral chips are also good habitat for BB.

However, knowing the way goldfish poo, it will be quite extraordinary if the coral chips bed is actually working well enough to keep nitrate at such low level!

best to check NH3/NH4, NO2 and NO3.
GF Lover
I will get an Ammonia test kit.
leogon
There is a product called Bacteria House being used by Koi lovers which claims to be an excellent biofiltration medium

'Bacteria House is made from ceramic and fired in a kiln at 1,300 C. The media is extremely porous which provides ample surface area for bacteria to colonize in. And the far-infrared radiation is very high from bacteria House. Using it in conjunction with the Bakki Shower makes for a excellent bio-filtration system, which requires vert little if any cleaning. All waste is consumed by the bacteria in the filter.'

Check it out at Momotaro Koi website.
I am not sure if anyone in S'pore has tried it out ....
Maybe it might work well for goldfish as well but it is $$$$$!
white horse T1
QUOTE(leogon @ Thu 20 May 2004 09:53 AM)
There is a product called Bacteria House being used by Koi lovers which claims to be an excellent biofiltration medium

all waste......inclusive of nitrate??
greenhorn
Can locate the exact location in the web page. Can it be found in Singapore?
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(greenhorn @ Thu 20 May 2004 02:11 PM)

Erm... what are you refering to? smile.gif

Sometimes it's necessary to "quote" a reply so that we know what you are talking about. To do so, click on the IPB Image button located on the top right corner of that message you wish to quote. The editor will then pop up, and when you scroll down you'll find the quoted text are in another box. You can leave the quoted text as is, or delete away irrelevant paragraphs/sentences.
GF Lover
Just went to Petmart and purchase the Sera Amonia test kit. The reading are as follows:
1. NH4/NH3 less than 0.5mg/l
2. NO3 less than 5.0 ppm
leogon
QUOTE(greenhorn @ Thu 20 May 2004 02:11 PM)

I think Momotaro koi has a local agent here - MAX KOI FARM in Lim Chu Kang.
Am not sure if they sell the Bacteria House.
leogon
251, Neo Tiew Crescent Singapore 718835
Phone: 6862-6363
That's the contact for Max Koi Farm.
white horse T1
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Wed 19 May 2004 08:56 AM)
It's 10ppm higher than I predicted?  Goosh!

Tomorrow it will be 110 ppm and it's only day 4 after water change.  Siao leow.

Have you figured out the right corrective action to take?  unsure.gif

hb, i goodboy alr.

1. change 80% of water last night.

2. surface area of sump tank in last compartment is filled with water hycinth, lettuce and guan yin teck now with one small mollie swimming inside to prevent mosquito laying eggs inside.

3. slop in sechem dinitrate matrix in both stagnant part of sump and drip tray.

4. transfer 3 ranchus out to another to lessen the load.

will measure again tonight. if still don work, donno what to do alr cry.gif
white horse T1
QUOTE(white horse T1 @ Fri 21 May 2004 09:47 AM)
hb, i goodboy alr. 

1. change 80% of water last night.

2. surface area of sump tank in last compartment is filled with water hycinth,  lettuce and guan yin teck now with one small mollie swimming inside to prevent  mosquito laying eggs inside. 

3. slop in sechem dinitrate matrix in both stagnant part of sump and drip tray.

4. transfer 3 ranchus out to another to lessen the load.

will measure again tonight.  if still don work, donno what to do alr cry.gif

below is my planting campaign.

this is one i bought, supposed to be able to survive in low light and submerged condition.

i still thinking how to house the roots in my sump. will see how the water hycinth and water lettuce are doing first.
white horse T1
QUOTE(white horse T1 @ Sat 22 May 2004 02:38 PM)
below is my planting campaign.

this is one i bought, supposed to be able to survive in low light and submerged condition. 

i still thinking how to house the roots in my sump.  will see how the water hycinth and water lettuce are doing first.

Planting campaign in sump with sechem de-nitrate matrix at the bottom also and at drip tray in dry compartment.

result?
so far register consistently at 10-20 ppm range as shown below.

going to dump in 1.5 bottles of tetra nitrate minus today and test the result one more time tomorrow.

IPB Image
white horse T1
QUOTE(white horse T1 @ Sat 22 May 2004 02:45 PM)
Planting campaign in sump with sechem de-nitrate matrix at the bottom also and at drip tray in dry compartment.

result?
so far register consistently at 10-20 ppm  range as shown below.

going to dump in 1.5 bottles of tetra nitrate minus today and test the result one more time tomorrow.

chio boh?

IPB Image
BlueBubble
QUOTE(goldfish Lover @ Thu 20 May 2004 08:46 PM)
Just went to Petmart and purchase the Sera Amonia test kit. The reading are as follows:
1. NH4/NH3 less than 0.5mg/l
2. NO3 less than 5.0 ppm

How about nitrite?
square_guy
NO3 = nitrate
BlueBubble
QUOTE(square_guy @ Sun 13 Jun 2004 10:05 AM)
NO3 = nitrate

I mean NO2
Seacucumber
what do you guys think about my nitrate level if i stock 6pcs of 4-5 inch fish in a 4ft tank with weekly water change of 80%??
white horse T1
QUOTE(g-string @ Mon 14 Jun 2004 08:00 AM)
what do you guys think about my nitrate level if i stock 6pcs of 4-5 inch fish in a 4ft tank with weekly water change of 80%??

40 ppm on the 7 days?
mountain
depends on feeding rate . if frequent/heavy feeding, easy over 50 on the 6th day.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(g-string @ Mon 14 Jun 2004 08:00 AM)

Why save 20% of the old water? What's in it that's so precious? mad.gif

Let me guess. You want to change 100% but know it's stressful to move the fishes out when you need to empty the tank? If so, find a few small basin and sink them to the bottom of the tank. As the water is being siphoned away, move the fishes inside the basins and make sure they stay inside before the tank is completly emptied. I figured this way you can change 95% of the water. biggrin.gif As you refill the tank with fresh water, the basins will float as the water level rises. Just let them stay afloat for a while to equalize the water temp. When you're happy with the new water... lift the basin and your fishes will swim out.

That's how I do it... sometimes. Usually I just take all the fishes out and soap the emptied tank. smile.gif
mountain
G-string prob uses the sponge filters ... and it also depends how u pump the Tap water in. Wrong move can means Killing BB or stressing the fish (if they are left inside) , plus PH flux (some areas have high PH) , or some have IOS etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc
for me .. if i take the water inside the IOS, it would prob add ups to 10% of wats left. but then again, sounds like he got low Nitrates.. thats why he can confidently leave 20% back on??

mad.gif G-string, dun keep us suspended in the air for so long .. whats yur reading?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.