Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pig Heart Diet For Gf
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
max
A friend of mine feed frozen pig heart to his goldfish, from the freezer, snip, snip into bite size into the tank.
Claim the goldfish double in size in 3 mths (from 3" to 6") with substantial roundness & colour of fish maintained.
Only setback is water condition deteriorate faster than normal.
Have any members out there ever try giving pig heart goldfish?
HappyBuddha
Could you ask your friend if the pig heart was fed as the main diet and raw or cooked?

I sure would like to try it out.
max
According to him there are 2 feed a day, first feed is hikari spirulina in the morning followed by pig heart meal in the evening, to him it is a balanced diet for the goldies.
Raw & frozen, rinse away blood (thaw), snip into small bits into the tank.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(max @ Tue 18 May 2004 01:36 PM)
According to him there are 2 feed a day,  first feed is hikari spirulina in the morning followed by  pig heart meal in the evening, to him it is a balanced diet for the goldies.
Raw & frozen, rinse away blood (thaw), snip into small bits into the tank.

Thanks! I assume I can get some pig hearts at the Gold Storage.... but let me ponder about the possibility of disease transmission when it's fed raw.... thinking.gif

Meanwhile... aren't those spare parts already deep freezed by the authority to kill whatever parasites/bacteria? Maybe pig's heart is safe for our fishes. unsure.gif
leogon
Beefheart is used extensively by Discus hobbyists.
Has been used for years.
People add multivitamins, spirulina, astaxanthin etc
Some add gelatin to reduce fragmentation.
Beefheart cheap - 1kg frozen ~ $5-6. Remove fat,tendons etc, mince it up and add supplements then freeze it.
Discus fed on BH mix generally more robust and bigger size compared to those fed on bloodworms or granulated food eg tetrabits
But some reports from Germany claim Discus fed on BH have more intestinal parasites etc and so they discourage using BH. (Then again, Germany is where a lot of granulated fish food come from!)
The use of BH necessitates extensive water change DAILY otherwise water conditions WILL deteriorate QUICKLY. Most Discus folks change up to >50% daily.
chanB
I used to feed PH or BH for my discus, very good for growth in size. Daily water change 10-20%. Some discus LFS sell them in frozen zip lock bag ($7-10). peace.gif
max
QUOTE(leogon @ Tue 18 May 2004 03:03 PM)
The use of BH necessitates extensive water change DAILY otherwise water conditions WILL deteriorate QUICKLY. Most Discus folks change up to >50% daily.

This fren of mine even goes to the extend of transfering his goldfish into a separate basin to feed pig heart juz to keep the water in the main tank from turning cloudy, crazy idea but that him.

Maybe instead of PH why not try BH, should be quite the same, furthermore BH can be quite easily available from most LFS.
max
Personally I've not try that, but this guy's black moor was like a solid piece of charcoal, thicks, strong & black & his ranchu fat & lazy (all viewed from the top) in the tub.
Quite am amazing sight.
chanB
I got one of the recipes. don't have time to do it yet. was told can do without gelatin. try it at own risk.

2 lb beef or pig heart (remove fat/gristle)
3/4 shrimp (remove tail and shell)
3 tbl freeze dried krill
1 raw egg yolk
1 small Gerbie baby veggies
1/2 cup spirulina flake
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 tbl garlic powder
1 1/4 oz Knox gelatin
10 vitamins (Kent Zoe Freshwater Vitamins)

Double grind beef heart. Add and grind shrimp. Grind krill to powder in another bowl. Mix the knox gelatin in another bowl and follow directions on box. Now mix everything together. Press into zipper bags and flatten to 1/4th thickness. Place in freezer.
nobnoba
i heard of this diet before. it may be true... but how come nobody in Japan or Thai use this diet? or is this some kind of secret recipe of theirs too? hehehe
leogon
One Thai breeder showed me his baby formula milk powder and egg concoction
which he used for his ranchu. This has been tried for Discus as well. Can try-but only if u LOVE changing water !
Allan
I think I'll give PH/BH a miss.

I don't think I can be bothered to watch the water quality. Feeding such raw food will definitely degrade the water quality to the extend the indirect result is stressing out the poor fish.

If a KG of PH/BH costs $7 in Singapore, I'm sure it costs peanuts in countries such as Australia where consumer don't eat "spare parts" and Hikari would have sanitize, add vitamins, freeze, and sell them to us for a song.

The way I see it, watching over your water quality and feed commercially available pellets or frozen bloodworm are just fine.
olddog
I was once told to back off feeding too much beef heart to my discus due to its high adrenalin content.

During slaughter the beast understandably panic releasing massive amounts of adrenalin into the bloodstream. This is reported to concentrate in the heart muscles. I was informed that feeding this material could cause skittish panicky fish and was not a good long term prospect.

It did provide massive amounts of protean cheaply and the stimulant effect was of value at breeding times. I never fed to newly introduced fish and my settled fish behaved normally on my personal feeding program. Perhaps it could have spooked new unsettled fish!

I prepared mine by grating when frozen and moulding this material into ice cube containers before thawing occurred.

I can report no disease problems feeing this material as long as it was fresh and stored correctly.

Forrest (olddog)
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(olddog @ Thu 20 May 2004 07:51 PM)
I prepared mine by grating when frozen and moulding this material into ice cube containers before thawing occurred....

Forrest... did you also feed them to your Goldfish?

It seems it's generally accepted by Discus keepers to feed beef heart but it's quite unheard of to goldfish keepers. Why!? unsure.gif
olddog
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Thu 20 May 2004 11:57 AM)
Forrest... did you also feed them to your Goldfish?

It seems it's generally accepted by Discus keepers to feed beef heart but it's quite unheard of to goldfish keepers.  Why!?  unsure.gif

I never wanted feed it to my Goldfish. I tend to feed lower protean high fiber feeds to adults.

Another reason is that warm blooded animal fats cant be digested by goldfish and can harm the liver.

Fry and young fish that need the protean boost get brine shrimp and tetra Prima and krill granules.

Forrest
olddog
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Thu 20 May 2004 11:57 AM)

It seems it's generally accepted by Discus keepers to feed beef heart but it's quite unheard of to goldfish keepers.  Why!?

Mamalian fats solidify below body temperature. Discus are typicaly kept above mamalian temps. So they can digest the this type of material the colder species could not.
Seacucumber
mamalian?? erm....wats that??
mrchoco
wah lan!!
just give your full heart and dedication to the hobby and your fish your flourish!!
no need pig heart beef heart!!!!! happydance.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.