Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pearl Scale Goldfish
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
mountain
wats this fish called?? short tail pearl scale??

IPB Image

IPB Image
HappyBuddha
Right-on; short-tails Pearlscales!

IPB Image

I used to have some. cry.gif They killed one another...

Generally speaking, the short-tail variety does not have a crown.

Oversized Linked Image (Click to Expand)
IPB Image

Above are the long-tail variety which usually has a crown (that often resembles... nevermind. biggrin.gif) on its head.

IPB Image

ET'S pride and joy... : happydance.gif I think it's 2 feet long by now. unsure.gif

PS. They're not "Pearl Scale" but "Pearlscales".
RBT
very nice pearlscales water parameters must b very good fins so nice n clear.!!!!
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(mountain @ Thu 17 Jun 2004 02:34 PM)
wats this fish called?? short tail pearl scale??

User Posted Image

User Posted Image

I forgot to add.... did you noticed yours has larger head (from topview) compared to mine? I was told it's nicer to have short-tails pearlies with tiny head.
manammakan
I bought some pearlscales too.

Small one $2, big one $8.

IPB Image

IPB Image
mountain
yap, tats right.. not the kinda that we wanna play with. when i got it , it was tiny head, but that was when i started off this hobby. Its now stuned + out of shape because i didn't know how to keep it. prob ask g-string to see if he wanna grab 1 or 2 together and we can start to see how much can it grow.
HappyBuddha
Wah... you guys want to play with Pearlies ah? Short-tail ones I hope; they are cuter with their small head and tails making them really ball-like.

Here're how I would select my pearlscales.

1. The head must be small. This can be tough if you're not familiar. Go to a few LFS to compare and learn first. They are rarer but not that hard to find!

2. The penducle must not be long; mountain's seem okay while wheretoeat's are too long.

3. The black eyes... must be nicely surrounded inside a chrome ring. See ET's;swee! See wheretoeat last pic - like kenna whack blacken eyes. rofl2.gif

Sorry hor; I think it won't kill you I condemn a little about your pearlies; $2 not that heart pain right? salute.gif
HappyBuddha
Add some more:-

4. The tiny tails should open up instead of closed. That's actually quite common. Some, however, are opened too wide and looking like a stiff cross. Yuk.

5. Needless to say the body must be round but this really refers to looking down from the top. The side profile of a pearlie is not really all rounded; The back is relatively straight (like a good lionhead). Mountain's red/white side profile actually resembles a ranchu ah! biggrin.gif

6. Given that good pearls meeting the above are not difficult to come by, I'd go one step further and pick one with a unique colouration/pattern. See ... I had that number 3 ball. biggrin.gif Find one that has the planet earth printed on its body, will ya?
manammakan
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Thu 17 Jun 2004 04:13 PM)
Wah... you guys want to play with Pearlies ah?  Short-tail ones I hope; they are cuter with their small head and tails making them really ball-like.

Here're how I would select my pearlscales.

1.  The head must be small.  This can be tough if you're not familiar.  Go to a few LFS to compare and learn first.  They are rarer but not that hard to find!

2.  The penducle must not be long; mountain's seem okay while wheretoeat's are too long.

3.  The black eyes... must be nicely surrounded inside a chrome ring.  See ET's;swee!  See wheretoeat last pic - like kenna whack blacken eyes.  rofl2.gif

Sorry hor; I think it won't kill you I condemn a little about your pearlies; $2 not that heart pain right?  salute.gif

Thats why I buy cheap goldfish now.

Kana chiat until chi-tay chi-tay also no heartache one wink.gif
Seacucumber
i want to join also....
will go look for pearlies now!

woohoo!!
from a "golee" to a basketball! tat's my target!
mountain
later go back dig out my aquarama video .. i think have basketball pearlies ...
Allan
Hmm.. you guys were talking about pearlscales last evening but I didn't know you are serious about it.

Seeing their pics is making me quite tempted. I still don't like crown pearls. I have spare tubs and will source for short-tails. Wish me luck in landing good ones and the same to you.
LASERGUY
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Thu 17 Jun 2004 04:19 PM)
Add some more:-

4. The tiny tails should open up instead of closed.  That's actually quite common.  Some, however, are opened too wide and looking like a stiff cross.  Yuk.

5. Needless to say the body must be round but this really refers to looking down from the top.  The side profile of a pearlie is not really all rounded;  The back is relatively straight (like a good lionhead).  Mountain's red/white side profile actually resembles a ranchu ah!  biggrin.gif

6. Given that good pearls meeting the above are not difficult to come by, I'd go one step further and pick one with a unique colouration/pattern.  See ... I had that number 3 ball.  biggrin.gif  Find one that has the planet earth printed on its body, will ya?

Eh..HB, you miss out this, they must have hump also, like ryukin. Mountain's one don't look nice because no hump....
Why not all of us start hunting for PS, and have a mini competition ? They are relatively cheap compared to ranchu....
mountain
mad3.gif condamn by RG. Sorrie fishy .. u are going to the frigdge oranda.gif

looks like only i got ugly fish around laugh.gif

hmm .. so wats the purpose of this competition?? i mean .. are we looking at growth rate? Is cyberET allowed to participate ?? whistle.gif
HappyBuddha
Hey guys, I love the idea of the Pearscales competition! Shall we do it?

Let's see... why Pearlies? Because the short-tails variety is cheap at $2 (€0.97). Try getting a decent ranchu for $2; you can't. Heck, for $2 you probably can't get a decent Ryukin or Oranda too. Pearlies are for cheapskates. biggrin.gif

The aim of this competition... well, there's a China goldfish Competition Standard to look at (Click here) but we'll keep it simple -- see who can develop his pearlies really big. It has to be healthy; a fat fish that lies on the floor waiting to die is just pathetic.

I think we should all start with pearlies from the same spawn, ie, we all pick from the same tank at a specified LFS. This way the chances of someone getting a super-duper bloodline (by chance) is reduced when he picked his at another LFS.

I think we won't care how you groom it. Green Water, green water with filtration, clear water with daily change, clear water that never change for 4 months ... whatever. It's your call.

How's that? Add on the list on what you like to the little competition to be like!
Seacucumber
i suggest no need to be from the same LFS. i think even from diff LFS also might be from the same supplier.
since they are $2 cheapskates, dun expect them to be of any good lines.
as long as they are the $2 types not more than 1 inch during purchase can liao....

give a time frame.....make it a step by step competition, prob 3 mths interval to see improvements....

hows my suggestion??
domho7
Wow those pearl scales looks damn cute dah.

Ok go whack some pearl scales. good_very.gif
The Matrix
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Thu 17 Jun 2004 03:22 PM)
Generally speaking, the short-tail variety does not have a crown.

Sorry dude, they do exist !
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Thu 17 Jun 2004 11:02 PM)
Sorry dude, they do exist !

"Generally" speaking mah. hmm.gif

Drop ten! mad.gif

And no football watching for you tonight!
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(g-string @ Thu 17 Jun 2004 10:07 PM)
i suggest no need to be from the same LFS. i think even from diff LFS also might be from the same supplier.
as long as they are the $2 types not more than 1 inch during purchase can liao....

give a time frame.....make it a step by step competition, prob 3 mths interval to see improvements....

hows my suggestion??

Yeah, more suggestion please!

Er.. as for banning ET...

I think no point; he'll just enter the competition using the names of his girl friens, sisters, aunties, neighbourhood sluts, primary school art and craft teachers, etc etc.

We just have to watch out for 2 feet long pearls.

Better yet, just ban crown pearls.

biggrin.gif
The Matrix
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Thu 17 Jun 2004 08:27 PM)
Hey guys, I love the idea of the Pearscales competition!  Shall we do it?

Let's see... why Pearlies?  Because the short-tails variety is cheap at $2 (€0.97).  Try getting a decent ranchu for $2; you can't.  Heck, for $2 you probably can't get a decent Ryukin or Oranda too.  Pearlies are for cheapskates.  biggrin.gif

I think we won't care how you groom it.  Green Water, green water with filtration, clear water with daily change, clear water that never change for 4 months ... whatever.  It's your call. 

How's that?  Add on the list on what you like to the little competition to be like!

Not a bad idea ! I would support a 3 months interval to see the real improvement. ET must be smiling .... stepping on his battle ground.
wink.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Thu 17 Jun 2004 11:10 PM)
Not a bad idea ! I would support a 3 months interval to see the real improvement. ET must be smiling .... stepping on his battle ground.
wink.gif

Hiak hiak

(suan abit) Wait and see lor; last minute sure kenna fin rot. rofl2.gif
The Matrix
QUOTE(g-string @ Thu 17 Jun 2004 10:07 PM)

hows my suggestion??

oei ... dun say until so cheap leh. Some of the tikus pearls not cheap leh. Most of them we see are small, so selling very cheaply at 1-2 bucks. Some larger ones at 4-5 bucks. Only during certain period u will see about 20 bucks (Qianhu competition got a few pairs of that size). To see a baseball size, that's a lot of skill and effort to put in.
CyberET
doh.. make me go hunting for tiku ah, not easy to find a nice speciment le.. sad.gif
Seacucumber
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Thu 17 Jun 2004 11:16 PM)
oei ... dun say until so cheap leh. Some of the tikus pearls not cheap leh. Most of them we see are small, so selling very cheaply at 1-2 bucks. Some larger ones at 4-5 bucks. Only during certain period u will see about 20 bucks (Qianhu competition got a few pairs of that size). To see a baseball size, that's a lot of skill and effort to put in.

wah lau....we will be buying those small ones to pit our skills mah....
so confirm cheap....hehehehe....

those good ones i know not cheap.....at least 3-5 times more...
isit har??

oh....so those are call tiku pearls ah?? rolleyes.gif
manammakan
These Demekin also $2 each.

IPB Image
LASERGUY
So uh "ON" boh, I will go and hoot a few this evening or weekend.....
mountain
i think we can get on with things, without a definite start time or wait for anyone. as long as the first few picture of the competition fish is posted, the person can carry on with his grooming. with 3 mth from date of purchase is up, repost again and we can followup from there. how about that? Its suppose to be a casual competition.
jhansolo
How I wish I have space to keep one more to join you guys! cry.gif

I think I have to keep to the sideline and drool.gif
The Matrix
QUOTE(g-string @ Fri 18 Jun 2004 05:25 PM)
wah lau....we will be buying those small ones to pit our skills mah....
so confirm cheap....hehehehe....

those good ones i know not cheap.....at least 3-5 times more...
isit har??

oh....so those are call tiku pearls ah?? rolleyes.gif

Ya those are called tiku. Malaysia pearl to be exact. Good ones not easy to find hor ... so small u have to tikam tikam leh ...

Dun buy a few, keeping tikus can be a real challenge. Buy a few dozens !

3-5x the price for good one ? NO WAY ! A good one can be 10-30x depends on size.

So this challenge is about size ? or color ? or shape ? or feature ? kekekekeke ...
CyberET
eh, whats the judging criteria? biggrin.gif
mountain
the joke on that Rafflesgold Nite was about size. biggrin.gif

but i guess as formality, we can let HB set up the criteria.

my suggestion : at least 1 pair biggrin.gif

then again , i am not familiar with Pearlscales breeding cycle, since Matrix mentioned its from Malaysia, i would guess babies should be fairly available (we dun wanna start the game , then end up there issn't any baby stock coming in the next few mths biggrin.gif)
Allan
ON AH!

I think the judging criteria is size, and the rest of the criteria come in seconds.

I'll get 2 or maybe 4 pieces.

I wonder where to find good ones.
Seacucumber
HA HA HA!
i had found s SECRET lfs, with nice SECRET tikus from SECRET country by some SECRET breeder.....
Allan
Where where where?

Everybody also know tikus are from Ipoh Malaysia. Don't tell me yours are from Japan and bred by Tikusan! biggrin.gif

I should get off my butt and start hunting. Let's see. My source tells me the importer delivered truck loads of tikus to the western part of Singapore. So... let's go west! whistle.gif
square_guy
why all looking for tiku? crowned pearlscales can or not biggrin.gif i know ET's monster gonna whack us a bit, but i still like crowned one le...

HB, so how? you on or not?
mountain
hehe.. sorrie square guy .. only Tiku allowed wink.gif

man .. this is harder then i thought, i squad there for 15 mins and only managed 4 , and dun even seem any where near a good standard .
but for $2 EA .. bah .. wat the heck ..

There is a damn good Tiku pic at GnG gallery taken by Alvin . Can go take a look ..
HappyBuddha
I also ON ah. Will have to look for them after the weekend.

I'll draw up some proposals...
mountain
tada.gif

IPB Image

but buay sui sad.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Wa liao .. never notice ..

IPB Image
mountain
took some pictures..

http://gallery.dyndns.tv/Pearlscales
CyberET
biggrin.gif

IPB Image
desireless
Have you all realise some tikus come with "ping yan" (totally black eyes)? I was told this is the rightful kind of eyes tiku should have. I can't seems to find any that has a perfect pair. Usually one side ping yan, another side the normal eyes.

My one kept in green water now size of 50cent marble liao. so cute biggrin.gif
mountain
i got mine at seaview ... i squad there for a fair bit amount of time .. then this cute hunk came ard with a big net... splash .. anyhow lub a couple away blink.gif wa liao .. zzzz .. no QA at all .. i hope i have not mistaken the tank i choose from is a feeder tank sad.gif

but wat i found tough is ... i couldn't find one that is Fully red... gosh .. all i saw was a mixture of white & reds.

Usually one side ping yan, another side the normal eyes.
.. this maybe considered defect?? both sides should be same eyes ??

as for the eyes .. errr .. i also dunno wats the correct standard. but i guess if its not a defect, then it alright to have black eyes.
mountain
CyberET's Pearlscales doesn't have penducle !! Gosh .. i tot mine are still young and i can discount my penducle .. but guess not after seeing yours

this one up the lorry .. already a scale growing

IPB Image
desireless
Why up the lorry? Die liao ah?

What's with the circled part on the tail?
mountain
no lah .. no die . but thats a piece of silver scale amongst the pearls sad.gif
the tail has a black stripe. its really small .. gee .. in fact smallest goldfish i have kept. so i dun't know how to go about feeding them , pellet is already bigger then the eyes!
CyberET
feed anything that can fit in their mouth biggrin.gif
CyberET
QUOTE(desireless @ Sun 20 Jun 2004 06:14 PM)
Have you all realise some tikus come with "ping yan" (totally black eyes)? I was told this is the rightful kind of eyes tiku should have. I can't seems to find any that has a perfect pair. Usually one side ping yan, another side the normal eyes.

My one kept  in green water now size of 50cent marble liao. so cute biggrin.gif

not rightful, but common
heh
i guess .my never do QA checks
wah, 50cents liaoz, mine still at 1dollar size
wiggling around
hehe
CyberET
QUOTE(mountain @ Sun 20 Jun 2004 10:23 PM)
no lah .. no die . but thats a piece of silver scale amongst the pearls sad.gif
the tail has a black stripe. its really small .. gee .. in fact smallest goldfish i have kept. so i dun't know how to go about feeding them , pellet is already bigger then the eyes!

stress mark is it?
The Matrix
QUOTE(desireless @ Sun 20 Jun 2004 06:14 PM)

HAR ????? How come I never know of such criteria ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.