Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Kind Of Filtration Are You Using ?
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
jhansolo
your poll is too wide, I'm using 3 of the choices, then how? Anyway shouldn't this go to the tank setup forum.
jowy_ham
Hi guys, just like to survey what kind of filtration everyone is using

Hope everyone could kindly participate tongue.gif
HappyBuddha
I've changed the Poll to accept multiple selection, and moved it from the ChitChat forum to here. Oh I also narrowed it down to Bio-filtration so that Green Water and Daily Water Change are not part of the choice, that is we define bio-filtration as a process that converts ammonia to nitrite/nitrate instead of dissolved oxygen. I've also taken out the brands of canister filter, added UGF etc
jowy_ham
Hi HB,

Thanks smile.gif and sorry to cause U trouble blush.gif

BTW, wat is IOS system ( internal powered filter ) ?
HappyBuddha
No trouble at all.

IOS = Internal Overflow System.

... it's a tank that has filtration by the side where water overflows into a filtration chamber by a pump.

IPB Image

The one pictured also draws water from underneath and is more appropriately referred to as a IOUS (Internal Over and Underflow System).
jowy_ham
Thanks for enlightening me biggrin.gif
top_view_ranchu
Hi HB,
Is that IOS tank yours?
I'm curious with the metal container in the tank. sad.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(top_view_ranchu @ Sat 26 Jun 2004 11:28 AM)
I'm curious with the metal container in the tank. sad.gif

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.ph...findpost&p=8698
top_view_ranchu
Hi BB,
Thanks! But page have been disabled?
HappyBuddha
No it's not... unsure.gif

Are you using a popup window blocker? It could be preventing the board from showing embedded links.
top_view_ranchu
I don't thinkl so!!!
BTW. I just posted but did not show again?
Like the previous post....only reviewed this morning??/
HappyBuddha
You're probably refering to posting in the Goldfish Academy... please read the Sticky Post titled "FAQ and Guideline for this Sub-Forum"

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.php?showforum=20
top_view_ranchu
Hi HB,
I'm sorry for being ignorant blush.gif Still very new to the site. But trying hard to get use to it, b'coz here's so interesting and knowledgeable.
Can you please elaborate on the metal container further. I'm planning to get in another 2 3x2 fiber tub, but do not intend to add in side internal filter.
My main tank now is 5 x 2 x 1 with 1 ft as internal filter.
Please help

Thanks
jowy_ham
Mine own funny filtration tongue.gif and tub setup.

Anything that I can improve on ?

IPB Image
square_guy
QUOTE(jowy_ham @ Sun 27 Jun 2004 02:35 AM)

User Posted Image

your tub is uncomfortably close to the power point! do take care that any bursting bubbles would not fall onto the power socket.

filtration is overkill if water is buffered well. i dun think the power filter is necessary. heater shdn't be necessary too unless it is in airconditioned room (and u dun on the aircon all the time).

i find it better the space the sponge filter further apart frm each other.
jowy_ham
QUOTE(square_guy @ Sun 27 Jun 2004 08:09 PM)
your tub is uncomfortably close to the power point! do take care that any bursting bubbles would not fall onto the power socket.

Won't lah, cos there is still a 3 - 4 inch height before water can splash out to the power point.

Anyway I will take note of that. tongue.gif

filtration is overkill if water is buffered well. i dun think the power filter is necessary.

Sorry, I can't really link buffering water ( pH and baking soda ) with filtration, can enlighten me blush.gif

The power filter is there initially is fo me to kick start BB cultivation, it should have been removed but lazy blush.gif

heater shdn't be necessary too unless it is in airconditioned room (and u dun on the aircon all the time).

hmmm..... I put the heater there just to stablized the temperature drop during the nite. Thinking it could be better for my goldfish if temperature is more stable ( cos it could drop till 24 degrees ( without air-con / heater )

i find it better the space the sponge filter further apart frm each other.

hehehe, I place them there becos I have some bio-home in the net-house therefore I'm thinking of using the sponge filter to circulate water around the net-house.
The Matrix
QUOTE(jowy_ham @ Sun 27 Jun 2004 02:35 AM)

You can improve on several things ...

1. take out all the overkilling filtration unit and leave a sponge will do
2. so many unnecessary items in the tub, give your fish space please
3. large water change regularly. your water looks so dirty.
jowy_ham
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Sun 27 Jun 2004 10:53 PM)
You can improve on several things ...

1. take out all the overkilling filtration unit and leave a sponge will do
2. so many unnecessary items in the tub, give your fish space please
3. large water change regularly. your water looks so dirty.

Hmmm..... I think I should really take out the canister filter since 2 Bros say so liao tongue.gif Will do it when I move my GFs to bigger tub ( just brought a 4ft FGT from Bro Ranchu_Lord )

hehehe, I did a 80-90% water change today, so no worries.

I always net up the poos if I see one, just that the pic was taken in the middle of the nite, so dun want to disturb my GFs sleeping laugh.gif

Thanks for the advise, guys. good_very.gif
CyberET
its not about removing the physical poo.. its more of the ammonia dissolved in the water!

aeration seems low, or maybe the water level is just inches above the outlet of the sponge filter

just your sponge filter alone would be sufficient filtration
and position it evenly spaced apart

there issn't a need for heater unless your aircon is blowing directly at the tub and set at 16deg "high" biggrin.gif (remember, higher temperature also results in lower dissolved oxygen)

buffering is a MUST!
jowy_ham
QUOTE(CyberET @ Mon 28 Jun 2004 05:59 AM)
its not about removing the physical poo.. its more of the ammonia dissolved in the water!

Thanks for the concern on ammonia, Bro CyberET.

But when I test my water parameters, ammonia always at 0 and nitrite is also 0, only thing that goes up is my nitrate, which reaches 60 on day 5 ( tats Y change water every 5 days instead of 1 week )

aeration seems low, or maybe the water level is just inches above the outlet of the sponge filter

Low meh, ok - just turn up my air pump power a bit tongue.gif

Water level is just above the plastic tube on the sponge filter.

there issn't a need for heater unless your aircon is blowing directly at the tub and set at 16deg "high" biggrin.gif (remember, higher temperature also results in lower dissolved oxygen)

Okie dokie, will take that out as well, save me some $$$ on electricity biggrin.gif

buffering is a MUST!

Got buffer lah, buffer with BS every water change. tongue.gif

just your sponge filter alone would be sufficient filtration
and position it evenly spaced apart

I will leave them as it is for a while till I move all of it ( + GFs ) to my 4ft tub.

Thanks for all the advise wink.gif
square_guy
to be honest, i still think 3~4" of space below power point is not enough. if aeration is strong enough, walah ! biggrin.gif

efficiency of filtration is related to pH directly, which is related to buffering. so if your filtration is very inefficient, then more filters are required. but why run filtration inefficiently?
CyberET
bioload relates to efficiency of filtration wink.gif
jowy_ham
QUOTE(square_guy @ Mon 28 Jun 2004 05:49 PM)
to be honest, i still think 3~4" of space below power point is not enough. if aeration is strong enough, walah ! biggrin.gif

efficiency of filtration is related to pH directly, which is related to buffering. so if your filtration is very inefficient, then more filters are required. but why run filtration inefficiently?

Aiya, off-track liao lah tongue.gif

The filter ( cycled ) was there to help kick start my sponge filters, after that I forgot/lazy to take it out blush.gif

As for the power-point, will be careful with it anyway this is setup will be migrated to a 4ft tub soon happydance.gif happydance.gif

With my new tub, I intend to either setup IOS or external sump filter ( Jebao / Jebo ) with sponge filters.

Any bros here can advise on setting up of IOS or experience with external sump filter that I'm planning to get ?

Appreciate any advise tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.