Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ga 013 - Ranchu
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Goldfish Academy
GA Secretary
Hello

Here're pics of my favorite ranchu. Please give me your frank comments.

Thank you.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Frankie
I'm sorry but this is not a nice ranchu.

If not for the drastic drop on its back, it actually resembles a lionhead goldfish.

Unfortunately I can't tell from the pics if the back is really as straight as it appears to be. Can you take a pic of the fish swimming naturally in your tank?

Is its colour fading? I see the scales are half-red. I think it needs a good green water spa to restore its colour.
Frankie
I beg to differ
it is not of a traditional ranchu trait
but it has a good chance of turning out better in the right hands

a lionhead doesn't means it must have a straight back smile.gif
Frankie
Please post the DIRECT SIDE VIEW of this ranchu for fairer comment. Your side view pictures is VERY slanted. I can't say for the curve because it looks a little crooked from your pictures.

The tiger head looks decent to me. Meaty instead of the watery type which will subside. It does not look like a lionchu to me, thankfully. The tail is looks decent to me. Pointed and open-up. These 2 features already suggest that this piece can NEVER be a chinese lionhead.

As for the colour wise, I must say it is really unique. Usually the colour part will fall on the top part of the fish, and the abdoment will be whitish. This fish has the opposite shade. My guess will be that all the fins coloured?

From what I can comment, this is a very good catch. Please post the DIRECT side view pictures for comments on its curvature, which is the most important feature of a good ranchu.
Frankie
pics not good enough to show the exact profile of the ranchu.

if judging according to your pics, the arch is not smooth.
Frankie
over emphasis is made over the back, imho, as long as its smooth, no abrubt angles, or kinks, the curve would improve as the fish bulk up
GA Secretary
This is a photo taken one year ago, it was a young fish in this shot. You can see the back profile better; it has not altered over the year.
The head has changed and is filling out by the week. This could be due to the G/W!
I will try to sort a recent side shot and vid clip soon.

For the last month it is enjoying green water spa treatment. This is the first time the fish has been exposed to G/W. I like this fish for several reasons. Its most striking point is the perfect level swimming action. I also like the red fins.

IPB Image
Frankie
QUOTE(Frankie @ Wed 16 Jun 2004 05:59 AM)
over emphasis is made over the back, imho, as long as its smooth, no abrubt angles, or kinks, the curve would improve as the fish bulk up

look carefully, according to the 1st pic, there are 3 abrupt angle.
Frankie
QUOTE(Frankie @ Wed 16 Jun 2004 08:43 AM)
look carefully, according to the 1st pic, there are 3 abrupt angle.

which is definately caused by the water's refraction, and the hand covering portion of the fish that causes the illusion smile.gif
Frankie
looks like a chinese ranchu to me. imho, it looks like a very good fish. BUT looking at the "now" pics and the "1 year ago" pics, the development just isn't there!

the first few pics show that the fish is probably around 4"? did it grow much at all for the past 1 year? i would guess the growth rate is very slow, and this should have something to do with the keeping method.
GA Secretary
QUOTE(Frankie @ Wed 16 Jun 2004 02:50 AM)
looking at the "now" pics and the "1 year ago" pics, the development just isn't there!

i would guess the growth rate is very slow, and this should have something to do with the keeping method.

You are very observant. The fish has been dormant in cool water for four of the last six months.It is now entering its early summer growth period. It will develop and change very quickly over the next for months.
Frankie
QUOTE(Secretary @ Wed 16 Jun 2004 11:28 AM)
You are very observant. The fish has been dormant in cool water for four of the last six months.It is now entering its early summer growth period. It will develop and change very quickly over the next for months.

ah... i see. That is something we locals will have little experience about. Let's see how temperature affect the growth of the fish.
Frankie
QUOTE(Secretary @ Wed 16 Jun 2004 11:28 AM)

Dormant in winter... entering summer... thinking.gif hmm....

Is this one of your own breed? Woof! woof! wink.gif

Good job!
Frankie
QUOTE(Frankie @ Tue 15 Jun 2004 05:14 PM)
Please post the DIRECT SIDE VIEW of this ranchu for fairer comment. Your side view pictures is VERY slanted. I can't say for the curve because it looks a little crooked from your pictures.

The tiger head looks decent to me. Meaty instead of the watery type which will subside. It does not look like a lionchu to me, thankfully. The tail is looks decent to me. Pointed and open-up. These 2 features already suggest that this piece can NEVER be a chinese lionhead.

As for the colour wise, I must say it is really unique. Usually the colour part will fall on the top part of the fish, and the abdoment will be whitish. This fish has the opposite shade. My guess will be that all the fins coloured?

From what I can comment, this is a very good catch. Please post the DIRECT side view pictures for comments on its curvature, which is the most important feature of a good ranchu.

I follow up my comment on this fish.

If it is not a drop of water on the tank external surface, there seems to be a little dent at the middle of the back of the fish. I hope keeping it in green water and pumping it further would make it less obvious.

The caudal peduncle is also not that ideal. It should be shorter and more steep. There happens to be a "U" at the meet-point between the peduncle and tail. This is also another minus point for a side view ranchu. Such feature will permanent, sadly.
Frankie
overall not too bad. Above average fish. Do watch the overall development in the coming warm weather, adjust feeding accordingly.

A nice side view profile would justify the overall feature. Not easy for us to give judgement in such photo. Cause more trouble for u to explain.
Frankie
Beautiful! This is a "traditional" ranchu where there was less emphasis on protruding cheeks and massive headgrowth. Instead, the point of appreciation is an overall balance of a "rounded" ranchu. I love its upside-down colouration too.

The only flaw I don't like is the lack of headgrowth just above its eye balls. On closer inspection, it seems the eyes are position too forward.

The tail joints is not at an acute angle. I'm can't for sure but I understand this ranchu will not grow large in size because the tail bone is "broken off" at that point mentioned. I may be wrong. I hope you can keep track of its growth especially its length.
GA Secretary
Hi all

We're very pleased to attached a short video clip of this ranchu swimming action.

Direct Link: http://rafflesgold.dyndns.org/~rg/video/ga013.mpg

In the video you can observe it swims perfectly level and hold its balance effortlessly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.