Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Maintain black white colour Of Panda Dragon Eye, Is there a special requirement to maintain the colour of Panda Moor?
Ray Ng
post Thu, 20 Mar 2008 5:49 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,992
Group: Member
Topics Started: 3
Last seen online:
Thu, 06 Aug 2009 11:01 am
User's local time:
Mon, 13 May 2024 7:03 pm
Green Water: Yes

hi.gif I have tried keeping Panda Moors a few times and most of them ended up being "bleached"; meaning the black color disappears as they grow (usually takes about 6 months). Is there some tips on maintaining the panda look of these moors?

I have one Panda moor kept in an outdoor tub with algae wall and another kept in a sheltered fish tank. Both of them turn white after a while. I was just wondering what could be the right environment for pandas. My setup all uses coral chips and the ph is quite stable.

Just an extra note; panda kept in the outdoor tub begins to show "flesh coloration tint under” its white skin area. I'm not sure whether this phenomenon was a result from feeding too much from the algae wall.

Hope someone can enlighten me sweatingbullets.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bekko
post Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:45 pm
Post #2

Gold
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,588
Group: Honorary Member
Topics Started: 17
Last seen online:
Sun, 23 Jan 2011 3:00 pm
User's local time:
Mon, 13 May 2024 1:03 am
Green Water: Not Telling

I am through with all pandas and red/black/white metallic scale. They are always a disappointment. It seems like black on these fish is just temporarily-arrested demalanization and it is not a matter of "if" but "when" it will disappear. Has anyone ever seen a big 3-4 year-old panda that still had good black ???

-steve
+Quote Post
desireless
post Sat, 22 Mar 2008 3:38 am
Post #3

养鱼养得好又如何
Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 9
Group: Super Moderator
Topics Started: 558
Last seen online:
Mon, 12 Sep 2022 3:49 pm
User's local time:

At this moment, it is still not possible to maintain the colour of panda (black/white) dragoneye that you can find easily here. They will be reduced to full white sooner or later.

But all hope is not lost. I have not yet seen a fully grown panda ranchu (crystal ranchu) that Tunghoi has bred 2years ago but from the way they are engineered, the panda colouration is supposed to stay.
+Quote Post
Sonny
post Sat, 22 Mar 2008 6:30 am
Post #4

Ordinary
Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 2,304
Topics Started: 5
Last seen online:
Fri, 29 May 2009 1:39 am
User's local time:
Mon, 13 May 2024 6:03 am

This is very curious to me. As I understand it the black in black telescopes (Moors) is supposed to be the most stable black of any other variety. I wonder why the presence of any other color causes it to go away with time. I have a 1 year old fry whose mother was a black moor and father was a tri-color (red/white/black) telescope. The fry is currently a panda coloration but it does appear as though the black is fading from the belly towards its back.
+Quote Post
bekko
post Sat, 22 Mar 2008 1:47 pm
Post #5

Gold
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,588
Group: Honorary Member
Topics Started: 17
Last seen online:
Sun, 23 Jan 2011 3:00 pm
User's local time:
Mon, 13 May 2024 1:03 am

Sonny, in my limited experience, the black moors will stay black, the red-and-black telescopes will remain red-and-black for quite a while but are prone to loose the black, the red-and-black-and-white telescopes will turn grey-and-brown, and the black-and-white telescopes will turn grey-and-white. If I'm not mistaken, the metallic white is a relatively recent development in telescopes. The white could have appeared as a mutation or it could have been bought in for selective breeding from another variety. Since oranda have the same problem, maybe the white was bred into telescopes from oranda. I too am curious about the history/process. Perhaps the gene for white and the gene for the unstable blue-black are somehow linked.

-steve
+Quote Post
hermanto
post Thu, 27 Mar 2008 7:23 pm
Post #6

Silver
Group Icon

Member No.: 356
Topics Started: 9
Last seen online:
Fri, 23 Sep 2011 9:07 pm
User's local time:
Mon, 13 May 2024 6:03 pm

I do not know much either about this problem, but I heard before that increasing the water hardness will strenghten the black color in koi. I guess the same should apply in goldfish? And I always try to employ this tip when selecting young pandas (if we have the liberty to select), that is: choose the one with as little white color as possible. Hopefully when it grows up, as the white area becomes larger, we will still have a good percentage of black color in it.
I asked a breeder friend if we can enhance the black color by crossing panda with blackmoore, and he said he did it before. It worked, but, and this is the drawback, the young fish will mostly look totally black, just like blackmoores, and the white will come out very late. This prevent the breeder to sell the young offsprings as pandas (cause no apparent white was seen). People couldnot see it as pandas. And the breeder stopped doing such things for it is not profitable for him. I myself have no experience to confirm it, but surely this is interesting smile.gif At least this might enable us to get a panda color in a mature fish smile.gif

Regards,
Hermanto
+Quote Post
Sonny
post Fri, 28 Mar 2008 6:13 am
Post #7

Ordinary
Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 2,304
Topics Started: 5
Last seen online:
Fri, 29 May 2009 1:39 am
User's local time:
Mon, 13 May 2024 6:03 am

QUOTE(hermanto @ Thu, 27 Mar 2008 6:23 am) *

I asked a breeder friend if we can enhance the black color by crossing panda with blackmoore, and he said he did it before. It worked, but, and this is the drawback, the young fish will mostly look totally black, just like blackmoores, and the white will come out very late. This prevent the breeder to sell the young offsprings as pandas (cause no apparent white was seen). People couldnot see it as pandas. And the breeder stopped doing such things for it is not profitable for him. I myself have no experience to confirm it, but surely this is interesting smile.gif At least this might enable us to get a panda color in a mature fish smile.gif

This makes sense to me. It must be difficult, as a breeder, to have to wait so long to see if a fish will develop the characteristic you are striving for.
+Quote Post
shimark
post Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:07 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 3,336
Topics Started: 1
Last seen online:
Thu, 17 Mar 2011 12:07 pm
User's local time:

Can post a picture of this Panda Moors? Is it a goldfish? Thanks
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13-May-24 7:03 pm
Logo
RSS

Site Map
RafflesGold - Web Space for Goldfish Lovers
Copyrighted © 2003-2006 RafflesGold.com. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
RafflesGold.com is a non-profit independent hobbyist supported forum based in Singapore
Donate to keep us operational
Link to Us
Contact Us